For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
1) 2) WiFi uses the most tiny amount of power, an absolute fraction of that used by the cellular side. Turning it off serves no purpose.

3) Your device isn’t going to randomly connect to untrusted networks unless you’ve told it to do so

You’re telling me you really turn your Wi-Fi off every time you leave the house? I have never once turned mine off on any device except when it had connected to a carp network, and the new feature works perfectly for that.
By GAFlyer4Fun
Yes I do turn Wifi off.

I forgot to add that some businesses require wifi to be turned off. (I am not going to name them).
By GAFlyer4Fun
How much the wifi impacts power consumption can be device make/model/software specific. Some will be better than others. Either way I still like to have the choice. An easily accessible simple Wifi Off/On is what I want (i.e. the old one swipe and one tap is all I need) without being overruled by the operating system.

(As an example one of my non-iOS devices chomps the battery an extra 10% per hour when wifi is on. That is very noticeable! Anyway, lets keep this an iOS thread...)
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
stevelup wrote:
3) Your device isn’t going to randomly connect to untrusted networks unless you’ve told it to do so

It will do if someone spoofs the name of a network that you already trust.
When I was responsible for a large on vehicle Wi-Fi network, it was not uncommon to find other networks turning-up on the train using our SSID.
In a similar manner if you create an open network called BTWi-fi in a busy area, it won't be long until you've got several connections to it.