For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By GolfHotel
Colonel Panic wrote:
riverrock wrote:But even when ours is fully going, I can still smell the smoke outside the house.

Which, to be fair, is one of the joys in life :oops: :thumleft:

We have an open wood burner. It was installed in 1607 when the house was modernised :D

We light it occasionally about weekly in winter. It's hopelessly inefficient even with well dried logs. Would we install a modern wood burner? Would we heck.

The other inglenook has a modern wood burner and that is efficient. Plus we grow more wood than we burn so I claim carbon neutrality.
Colonel Panic, seanxair, johnm and 2 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We have a log burner in new build.

Actually it's a gas fired pseudo log burner but you'd never tell.Deception complete by piles of real logs either side.

Actually the house is so warm we've never turned it on.

Petet :wink:
By Bill McCarthy
My 6Kw Kingspan wind turbine has made my woodburner and oil fired central heating system semi-redundant. It is returning £4500 per year on a £28000 investment. A 2Kw convection heater is on most of the time and I manually switch on the immersion heater for a couple of hours in the morning. Viable ? - I think so.
By cockney steve
It is returning £4500 per year on a £28000 investment.

With a massive, unrealistic and unsustainable subsidy on every kilowatt it produces.......
Which is why the subsidies were rapidly reduced after the early adopters jumped on the gravy-train....do not swallow the propaganda. left to a free-market economy, self-generation only worked for isolated homesteads and yachtsmen.(even then, there were severe limitations, partly cost and partly the scarcity of suitable windmill-blades and generators for larger installations.)
By nallen
Investment in commercial woodland used to benefit from a range of tax breaks = subsidy
By rf3flyer
Bill McCarthy wrote:My 6Kw Kingspan wind turbine has made my woodburner and oil fired central heating system semi-redundant...Viable ? - I think so.

But Bill, you are in Caithness, possibly the windiest county in mainland Britain!
By Bill McCarthy
Yes, the turbine has been chucking out full power over the last three days so the washing machine and tumbler drier are much in use - it's too windy to put washing on the line. I'm having to open windows as well as it is becoming too warm in the house. I am considering a battery bank to store power for the less windy days. Most of the big turbines have their blades furled as it is either too windy, or, the grid can't take the load.
By chevvron
chevvron wrote:Some time ago, I stated that in my opinion, the extra pollution in the atmosphere causing fogs was at least partly due to the newish 'fad' of wood burning stoves.
History: My theory was that the smogs of the '50s which a few of you may remember were caused by coal fires both domestic and industrial (gas was produced by part burning coal as well as electricity being generated by it) and the development of 'smokeless' fuels in the late '50s'/early'60s almost stopped this. As coal is actually wood, burning wood is taking us back to the 'unrefined' coal burning era.

Wouldn't believe me would you; now the gov'ment agrees with me. :D :tongue:
By romille
Emissions from wood burners, diesel cars, farming, what is next on the hit list?

In smoke control areas you already need a DEFRA approved stove.

Only recently I saw a bit on the news stating Drax burning biomass was massively reducing it's carbon emissions, as biomass is mostly wood and crops will the power station face restrictions?
By Bill McCarthy
I see that news items on power station carbon emissions still show steam coming from their cooling towers when reporting the issue.
jaycee58 liked this
By FlarePath
As one who has to put up with the couple of wood burning stove neighbours that I have, I welcome the restriction on the fuel used, as am fed up with washing the ash of my car some days. However, typical of guvmints they will put out this statement about the type of wood that can be burnt with not a fart in a hurricanes chance of enforcing it. Q: What is the penanlty if caught burning creosoted fence posts? :twisted: