For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
According to Wikipedia (so it must be true), Uber operate in 633 cities across the globe. But Sadiq Kahn (/ TfL ) declares them as "not fit and proper" for London on the grounds of "public safety and security implications".

What does he know that others don't? Is it a case of him caving in to the pressure exerted by his political paymasters more readily than other law makers, or that he is just more principled than most?
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Uber's checking and vetting systems for their drivers is not fit for purpose - they have had, as I understand it, several drivers who did not have CRB checks or where they did, had not passed them.

It is also alleged - and there have been some news reports that Uber drivers have been involved in sexual assaults of their passengers.
By riverrock
The decision is here :
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press ... on-limited

At issue include the tactics used and sanctioned "corporately" across the company in other places: active refusal to help police and other officials in investigations, use of software to disrupt legal authorities.

Uber clearly doesn't protect drivers from themselves: they say they will introduce maximum driver hours (but I believe haven't). They require no driver training.

Driver checking is in two parts, getting information, then deciding whether that person is fit to be a driver using that information. They have farmed out that task to the lowest bidder rather than use a checker authorised by TFL. They haven't said / published the criteria used. They only do the checks when forced to buy authorities.

One of the arguments is that there shouldn't be different rules for them and other private hire firms, but they want to agree / negotiate their own rules.
kanga liked this
By skydriller
There are also many cities, and the number is increasing, where they have been banned from operating due the reasons cited by others above.
By PaulB
A quick google suggests lots of areas where Uber is banned from whole countries to states or cities.
By kanga
Colonel Panic wrote:.. Sadiq Kahn (/ TfL ) declares..

Independent, non-partisan, regulators in TfL investigate, give Uber 4 months' warning to improve, and when they do not exercise their Parliament-given powers to withdraw licence. Mayor of London then announces it, with relevant explanation. Partisan opponents of Mayor then denounce him ..

Welcome to today's UK politics .. :roll:
PaulB, johnm, KingJames liked this
By Artschool
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Uber's checking and vetting systems for their drivers is not fit for purpose - they have had, as I understand it, several drivers who did not have CRB checks or where they did, had not passed them.

It is also alleged - and there have been some news reports that Uber drivers have been involved in sexual assaults of their passengers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32118391

black cabs have the same problem.

this is a attempt to stifle competition.
Rob P liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Artschool wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32118391

black cabs have the same problem.

this is a attempt to stifle competition.

There are bad people in every walk of life and line of work. I don't know whether Perry had a criminal record before his conviction in 2015.

Uber flaunted the checking requirements on an industrial scale.

One black cabby told me that Perry was the only black cab driver convicted of sexual assault.
kanga liked this
By Bill Haddow
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
One black cabby

Which is black, the driver or the vehicle?

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
the only black cab driver convicted of sexual assault.

Is that "black-cab driver", or " black cab-driver" ?

Bill H
By Pete L
The real problem with Uber was on R4 this morning. Rather than a UK private hire fleet owner making 5-10% in flat fees off their drivers and spending it in the UK economy, Uber takes 25% and the money ends up offshore - just for a dating service. I'd argue for a real value added tax - tax businesses on turnover - actual value added.

There was no way they should ever got a license under the then TfL rules and there's still a reasonable chance a Cameron crony will end up in court for taking a bung.
By karlbown
Does that mean they’re shutting down Google, Amazon, Ford, BMW etc as well then?

Interesting! Somewhat unlikely perhaps......

Pete L wrote:The real problem with Uber was on R4 this morning. Rather than a UK private hire fleet owner making 5-10% in flat fees off their drivers and spending it in the UK economy, Uber takes 25% and the money ends up offshore - just for a dating service. I'd argue for a real value added tax - tax businesses on turnover - actual value added.

There was no way they should ever got a license under the then TfL rules and there's still a reasonable chance a Cameron crony will end up in court for taking a bung.
By Colonel Panic
Pete L wrote:I'd argue for a real value added tax - tax businesses on turnover - actual value added.

Hmmm, glad you are not the Chancellor! What rate would you choose?

Tesco - Operating profit / Turnover = 1.9%
WPP - Operating Profit / Turnover = 13.3%

And I'm sure there will be others with even more diverse ratios!