For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Presumably, If it's not insured then plod will have it crushed. It's almost certainly unregistered so whoever dumped it has handed the job of disposal of the car and all it's contents to the authorities at no cost and maximum convenience to himself. It may be that he tried to dispose of the car and contents at the dump but was turned away and if that's the case I do have a very small degree of sympathy. Call it a "protest dump".
Fly tipping is a big problem.
T67M liked this
By chevvron
A council tip often charges for the disposal of scrap cars so maybe whoever dumped it took it there, didn't like the charge so left it on the public highway and thereafter someone else stuffed the mattresses in it.
Leaving the number plates on is a bit silly as it means all owners can be traced but of course the one who dumped it may not have registered it in his name, so the previous owner will get the bill.
T67M liked this
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@chevvron said
Leaving the number plates on is a bit silly as it means all owners can be traced

Erm....just makes it a bit easier, as I think you'll find the VIN is stamped into the body-shell in at least 2 places. Often, one is directly behind the windscreen, necessitating it's removal before the number can be cut out. DVLA has the VIN recorded. Onus is on the vendor to establish the bona-fides of the purchaser (yes, I read the small print on the Reg. document.) If you record the purchaser as "M. Mouse, you could possibly come to regret it.

Council charging for disposal, is either extracting the urine, or a measure of their total incompetence. local scrapyard will collect and pay £50 minimum. Granted, there have been a few occasions in the post-war years, where a recession has seen the price of scrap drop through the floor. Local yards simply pile it high, wait till the price rockets, then cash-in. I got more for my last "weigh-in" than selling for spares/ repair. :D
By Sooty25
All scrap cars have scrap value when taken to the correct vehicle recyclers, the question is whether in this case it outweighs the hassle of getting rid of the mattresses!

The disappointing this is, an idiot can continually stick a parking ticket on an obviously abandoned car, but hasn't got the savvy to get it collected and impounded.

It'll be burnt out by kids next!
By Sooty25
Cessna57 wrote:The idiot is on commission, why would he want it removed?

a close friend of mine is a traffic warden employed by a local authority and I know for fact they are not on commission or have targets.

No, I don't class my mate as an idiot because he would have had it moved!
By chevvron
cockney steve wrote: Council charging for disposal, is either extracting the urine, or a measure of their total incompetence. local scrapyard will collect and pay £50 minimum. Granted, there have been a few occasions in the post-war years, where a recession has seen the price of scrap drop through the floor. Local yards simply pile it high, wait till the price rockets, then cash-in. I got more for my last "weigh-in" than selling for spares/ repair. :D

Councils in this area will turn away any vehicle they think is bringing in anything other than 'domestic' waste and will re-direct them to a depot outside Guildford where they will be charged for disposal.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
cockney steve wrote:Erm....just makes it a bit easier, as I think you'll find the VIN is stamped into the body-shell in at least 2 places. Often, one is directly behind the windscreen, necessitating it's removal before the number can be cut out. DVLA has the VIN recorded. Onus is on the vendor to establish the bona-fides of the purchaser (yes, I read the small print on the Reg. document.) If you record the purchaser as "M. Mouse, you could possibly come to regret it.

Of course, they could register it to a random, real name and address. I can't think of any G-INFO where that sort of personal data might be obtained for free...
By Spooky
The lovely quaint travelling folk were dumping caravans in a similar way when we lived near Thatcham. The caravan would be dumped in a country lane with all windows and wheels removed but full of rubbish.