For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Lindsayp
Ridders +1

My interests in radio:
- construction of simple radios and ancillary gear: not very good at it but I enjoy trying
- operating on HF digital modes, using a computer to generate weird sounds that represent text typed in but using very clever error detection and correction protocols, sent to the radio for transmission/receipt of same from others so as to have highly-syntactically controlled QSO's )conversations, of a sort), with typical contacts all over Europe and at certain times of day and in certain atmospheric conditions with the USA, South America and Asia.
-experimenting with antenna construction and the testing thereof
By Aerials
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
G4EAB checking in on the net!

Actually, I do very little nowadays other than to have the odd listen around the LF to U HF bands whenever I can get into the shack, which has has evolved into a general workshop in recent years since the urge to fly got to me again.

The little FT817 (1st generation) is now mostly monitoring an airport some 8 miles away or London Information. There's not much amateur activity heard from the West Midlands on 2 or 70. I used to take great pleasure in construction of transmitters, receivers and test equipment and once got very deeply involved in building and licencing our local 10GHz TV repeater but there wasn't a great following so that went QRT.

Aside from the TV equipment, most other stuff is still there, ready to work with (on!) when the house is sorted and I finally retire from work!
73 et 88
By Paul_Sengupta
Ridders wrote:If you're mildly interested and can stand it, then this load of YouTube videos covers many of the aspects of the hobby.

'Ere, @pilotbarry, are you by any chance related to Sir Norman Lockyer?

pilotbarry, mick w liked this
By Bill Haddow
PhilE wrote:
but here's a bit of paper I've not seen for the best part of 30 years:

Mmm, given that it references legislation from 2006, I doubt if it is more than the best part of 11 years since anyone has seen it :scratch:

Bill H
Richard Dastardly liked this
By Ragwing
Quite a co-incidence reading this.

I got a Mike6 restricted call-sign a several years ago...only worked VHF which I very quickly got bored with....seems just like CB radio now.

Recently go a hankering to get my first HF rig and work QRP but I did hear that modern electronics in a suburban location play havoc with HF on RX with major QRM...is this true.

So would I be just wasting my dosh I wonder...its would be a sort of retirement present to myself.

Always fancied getting to grips with Morse...and I would only really be able to use long wire DIY anntena.

Thinking of something like a Yaesu 450.
By Lindsayp
The QRM thing depends on where you live, ie surrounded by other houses or not, how many have noisy broadband routers and use the mains for networking in the house. The only way is to test it really. A used Yaesu 450 will cost around £400-450 and there seems to be a ready market for them if it was a no-go at your QTH.

FWIW I live on the outskirts of town, lots of local houses have Sky, Virgin and BT broadband that I can see from my pc, but I only have about S3 of noise even on 80m, except when certain vehicles or household devices are in use, eg our built in dishwasher seems to chuck out hf rfi but it's not in continuous use and can be turned off if it's when I'm on the radio. My one neighbour has an old motorbike that has a noisy solenoid on the rare occasions he is tinkering with it, but it only bothers me on 40m so I QSY when its a nuisance.
By Ridders
Ragwing wrote:Thinking of something like a Yaesu 450.
I have the 450. Note its not the most recent D version - there are differences.
https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6583

For CW its not too bad, it has a built in electronic keyer that works with my paddle. it has a narrow CW filter (500hz), mine has the integrated ATU and tunes really quickly between bands. I like the fact you can record a CQ call too and just press a button. I have read you can not use the narrow filter on Digital modes... I dont use those so no problem. It has a noise blanker. Its has DSP. The Rig has a known fault with the display earthing that causes noise on TX. Fix here.

Regards noise floor, unfortunately theres a lot of noise out there and surprisingly odd things make RF noise, new cheap chinese LED lights that have switcher circuits for example.
Basically as LindsayP mentioned already, its pot luck if its noisy or not at home. One of my friends gets s9 of noise at home and HF is unusuable. I am pretty lucky. Antenna type can also make noise reduction, you will probably find an endfed longwire and vertical poor for noise, but dipoles and windom's are reported to be betterr. Also length of garden, can allow moving it further away from the source.
By Ragwing
Thanks for the tips.

Prob go for a new 450 at just under £600.

The G5RV antenna....think I have room for one of those...how good are they guys.

Do the need to be set up as an inverted V.

The price I see them for on Ebay almost makes it uneconomic to go down the DIY route.
By lobstaboy
The G5RV has divided opinion. I've found them to work well. But you need a good atu. Sometimes an internal atu may not be up to the job.
If you're going to build or buy an atu then I'd use a dipole as big as you can fit in the space fed with open wire feeder or ladder line. Strictly speaking the atu needs a balanced output, but you'll do ok with a balun at the back of the atu feeding the line. This will be less susceptible to picking up noise from the house etc.

Use an inverted v configuration for either, it doesn't matter. I like the inverted v because it's the easiest way to get the feed point as high as possible.
By Lindsayp
How much garden do you have? I have a very modest end-fed wire (with balun) that is about 45ft long, that tunes up on all bands 80m-6m surprisingly with just the built in ATU of my various radios (TS590SG and TS990S are the prime movers). I also have a vertical that's about 24ft high with various lengths of wire buried under the back lawn.
By Ridders
This is an alternative to G5RV (Ive only used a half sized RV so can not comment on full size) I have used the HW-40HP at home and also portable. There is a longer version that is better performing, the HW-80HP.
http://www.m0cvoantennas.com/apps/webst ... ow/1205260
On 20m it is down against a true 20m dipole, I have also used their 20M dipole.
20M version of this:
http://www.m0cvoantennas.com/apps/webst ... ow/2327732

Pretty good construction, comes with all the bits, fast delivery. They also do end fed long wires.
By Lindsayp
I'll second Ridders' recommendation, I used to use the HW-40 in my last place with a fair degree of success - only 20ft sloping down to 12ft surrounded on one side by houses, in the Chesham valley, but still had contacts as far as JA and PY in PSK31 mode on 20m with 45w out.
Ridders liked this