For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
skydriller wrote:This is exactly as it should be. If you arent driving, how can you be at fault?

Let me suggest one way; because you weren't carrying your transponder while you walked down to the shops where the AEV ran you over and crippled you and your children for life.

As far fetched as this seems it appears that the wheels are in motion for us to carry a transponder which will interact with the Network and the autonomous vehicles in it.

There's provision tucked away in last year's US Infrastructure Bill. Millions of pieces of static street furniture are already equipped with transponders and the motor manufacturers want us meatwear to carry one too, probably in our phones.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonrei ... 0a19835a3d

After seeing how phones have been leveraged to exclude people from society during Covid it's hardly a fantasy to imagine that plenty of us will actually volunteer to be chipped to avoid the faff of forgetting the phone and not being allowed near a road on pain of a fine from the autonomous drone patrol that's out checking transponders.

It will be for our own good of course.
Paultheparaglider wrote:
eltonioni wrote:
As far fetched as this seems it appears that the wheels are in motion for us to carry a transponder which will interact with the Network and the autonomous vehicles in it.

That isn't far fetched at all. It was actually added to the covid booster jabs, so yours is already installed.

It was all I could do to stop myself typing "the Matrix" instead of "the Network" :shifty:
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PaulB wrote:Will the systems be able to work out what is a bollard and what is a child standing still (if such a thing exists)?

More if it can pick. Do I crash the occupant into the bollard or crash into the kid. :lol:
When driving a 'normal' car there are many occasions when one 'reads' the intentions of the other driver via their head position or the direction of their eyes, or even a nod or wave. This is going to be impossible with self-driving cars and the 'operator's' head being behind a newspaper.
By Dave W
Indeed, but I understand that any new vehicles from (very soon - 2025?) must have some capability for multi-way data comms between nearby vehicles and relevant "street furniture" such as warning signs etc.

Therefore moden cars will (theoretically, at least) have the ability to gain information on what their peer neighbours may be about to do.

The challenge will inevitably be the mixing of legacy vehicles and the more modern ones.

This includes bicycles, which on the face of things has potentially been made more difficult (and perhaps more hazardous downstream) by some of the recent amendments to the Highway Code.
Dave W wrote:.. I understand that any new vehicles from (very soon - 2025?) must have some capability for multi-way data comms between nearby vehicles and relevant "street furniture" such as warning signs etc.

what an alluring cyberwarfare hacking target! .. :?
eltonioni liked this
By GrahamB
Dave W wrote:Indeed, but I understand that any new vehicles from (very soon - 2025?) must have some capability for multi-way data comms between nearby vehicles and relevant "street furniture" such as warning

Coincidentally, just this afternoon I received an email from VW about the new ID5 sport SUV, which apparently uses 'Swarm data' - i.e. real time data from other similarly equipped vehicles - to do such things as adjust speed and position the car slightly differently within the lane.
VRB_20kt wrote:
Dave W wrote:The briefs I've seen major extensively on cyber-security.

It’s as well. One rogue actor could bring any major city to a halt in moments.

Been done.

Professor Peach brought Turin to a standstill in 1969. A rogue actor if ever there was one.

VRB_20kt, kanga, Dave W and 1 others liked this