For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Ian Melville
I have just received a letter to say that Friends of Duxford (FOD) membership is no more, and has been swallowed up by the Imperial War Museum (IWM)

Plus side seems to be that the IWM premium membership will apply to all IWM sites, but there are losses in the perks offered.

Sad, as I saw FOD as a small friendly operation when the funds raised were targeted to my interest in aviation. Now my money will go to a larger faceless monolith and split between all arms. Once the fees are announced, it will be time to review whether I want to stay a member as I don't get to visit Duxford very often these days.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I agree completely! I have just written back to the FoD and IWM expressing my sadness at the change, and asking them to at least consider giving people the option to ring-fence their contributions to a single site, perhaps through "IWM (Duxford) Membership" - the perks, whilst nice, weren't the main reason I joined FoD. If they are unable to make some changes then I very much doubt that I will be renewing my membership when it comes due, and I shall be actively looking for other ways I can support Duxford.
By Rob P
One of the losses is the 20% reduction in Duxford landing fees.

No huge concession anyway, but probably enough with the rest of the changes to tip the balance for me in favour of lapsing when my Friends card expires

Rob P
T67M liked this
By PeteSpencer
This is kinda 'old news:'

As a long term Friend of Duxford and through that a Volunteer for the Duxford Aviation Society's (DAS) British Airliner Collection (which do not belong to the IWM) the amalgamation of the two meant that I am no longer a Friend of Duxford but very much a member of the Duxford Aviation society which has been managing both for the last two years.

I haven't checked but I think the reductions remained for DAS members, indeed I got a reduced landing fee and 20% off my grub two weeks ago.

In addition Members of Dux Aviation society qualify for free museum entry and working volunteers get concessionary airshow tickets .

There is not a great deal of love lost between IWM and DAS, so fprmer FoD members. please join DAS and remember the DAS (as the East Anglian Aviation Society) preceded the IWM at Duxford by over decade....

Peter
By Rob P
Ian Melville wrote: Once the fees are announced, it will be time to review whether I want to stay a member

If I read the rambling letter from Andrew Kitney correctly, FoD members transitioning will get the £55 IWM Premium Membership for £35 (Presumably first year only)

Rob P
By Ian Melville
I'll have to re-read that paragraph when I get home. Checking on the IWM website showed that they were yet to be published.
At that price only a fraction of what I used to pay will go to Duxford.
By PeteSpencer
Ian Melville wrote:I'll have to re-read that paragraph when I get home. Checking on the IWM website showed that they were yet to be published.
At that price only a fraction of what I used to pay will go to Duxford.

Simple solution is to join the Duxford Aviation Society and become a volunteer: All your cash/efforts go into supporting Duxford.

Peter
By Rob P
Have anyone tried?

Out of interest I went onto the DAS website this morning and could find no option to join either as a supporter or a volunteer. Sally B Supporters Club however you can do online.

Someone might like to quote the above in a response because dear old Peter doesn't see my posts since he elected me a 'foe'. Mind you he then had to send me a PM to tell me in case I didn't notice. Don't quote the bits in italics though or I'll get another PM

Rob P
By Mike Tango
[cough]Peter S[/cough]

Rob P wrote:Have anyone tried?

Out of interest I went onto the DAS website this morning and could find no option to join either as a supporter or a volunteer. Sally B Supporters Club however you can do online.

Rob P
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Many thanks Mike. :D

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
Mike Tango wrote:[cough]Peter S[/cough]

Rob P wrote:Have anyone tried?

Rob P

If you are serious about joining, Mike, just ring Rebecca at DAS. :
You can hunt for the number.

http://das.org.uk/about-us/
Mike Tango liked this