For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PaulB
Apologies in advance to RobL but I'm not sure how to control the size of images any more... I hope they render appropriately for the screen that you're using!

Anyway....

The road outside my place of work is an urban dual carriageway with double yellow lines for a 50m or so before the junction that leads to the office. The pavement on the dual carriageway is very wide and there's also a gravel area that has at one time been a grass verge but isn't any longer. The (ex) verge is easily wide enough for a car to park on it without either encroaching the carriageway (which have double yellows at this point) or the pavement.

Occasionally cars do park on this verge and are almost always ticketed with a fixed penalty notice. One time I saw the traffic warden in the process of ticketing a car so I asked him why you couldn't part there and he said it was because of the double yellows.

I can't immediately find anything in the highway code about this and the only giveaway is a small sign at the start of the double yellows. I can't see this sign in the highway code.

This is the sign affixed to a lamp-post. It's small and quite easy to miss.

So, how might your average driver know that you can't park there? I'm guessing (as it's not in the Highway Code, that it's some city council bye law or something?
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The double yellows apply to the "highway" and the definition thereof in the absence of specific information to the contrary would be from site boundary e.g. Wall or hedge to site boundary. Therefore the verge and pavement are part of the highway and the restrictions apply unless rescinded.
By Colonel Panic
PaulB wrote:So, how might your average driver know that you can't park there

Err, because the sign clearly shows that you can't park on the "pavement" (or at least raised area to the side of the "road")?

Or are you taking issue over the size of the sign, rather than what it depicts?
By PaulB
I'm actually not taking issue with anything.... It just piqued my curiosity. Further down the road, where a there are no double yellows (but there is a bus lane) the verges (and sometimes the associated footway) are full of cars.

However, the sign is small and easy to miss and doesn't seem to be a standard "no parking" sign as depicted in the Highway Code (not that most drivers round here have ever heard of the Highway Code! (.... but that's another story!!))

...as I said, I was merely curious. JohnM's post sent me to google which presented me with this which adds a bit of substance to his argument.

https://www.york.gov.uk/download/downlo ... etspdf.pdf