For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I'm still concerned about range for longer journeys (100 miles +) and also worried that what we pay £X000 for today will be worth Xp in three years' time due to tech advances that are coming.

To link to another thread, would PCP mitigate against that?
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sadly any car under 5 years old depreciates like a brick. PCP costs more, not less, compared to a cash purchase of a second hand car. Just look at the paperwork, the interest is clearly detailed out.

I bought a 2 year old Range Rover Evoque for the missus at 33k. Sold at 4 years old for 21k. And RR are unofficially the lowest depreciating brand in the U.K. I believe. 6k per year. Ouch. My helicopter cost less than that in servicing (and it doesn't depreciate at all!)
What PCP does is mitigate the risk. You know to the penny what it will cost you.

If you take a punt on buying outright the depreciation becomes your risk. You may well come out of it better off if you are lucky and/or good at moving on secondhand cars.

Rob P
Depreciation is an irrelevant argument in this situation.It is just part of the car buying business model.

If depreciation is a factor in car buying choice then buy a classic car and watch it increase in value as it gets older. Bought my old Landy for £3K and sold it for £6K three years later. However it was bought for neither comfort, reliability or commuting!
By MikeB
carlmeek wrote: PCP costs more, not less, compared to a cash purchase of a second hand car. Just look at the paperwork, the interest is clearly detailed out.

Depends on the age of the 2nd hand car of course, but theres not always that much of a difference.

Local Audi dealers are flogging a 3 month old ex demo A6 for 9K under list price. However, buy an identically specced new one on PCP and they are offering a discount of 10K with 3.3% finance.

Ok savings/deposit interest rates are low, but if you set off the interest lost for the cash purchase against the interest paid for the PCP there is very little in it, particularly given the new vehicle is 1K cheaper.

Another factor regarding PCP - on a typical agreement you can simply hand the vehicle back to the dealers at any stage in the final year at zero cost. Therefore, if technology moves on in the next 2 years, you can have an early option to change if you wish.
PaulB wrote:I'm still concerned about range for longer journeys (100 miles +) and also worried that what we pay £X000 for today will be worth Xp in three years' time due to tech advances that are coming.

To link to another thread, would PCP mitigate against that?

I've had both of my Leafs (Leaves?) on PCP. First one was £190pm with a 3.5k deposit over 2 years (total cost £8060).
When that went back in February I got exactly the same thing again (just with the 30kwh battery instead of the 24kwh battery in the old one)... This one's £299pm with zero deposit over 2 years. Total cost £7176.
Oh, and on both of those cases it was for the top of the range 'Tekna' model with full leather, heated seats (front and rear), heated steering wheel, sat nav, bose sound system, 360degree cameras etc.

Considering I'd spend £250 a month on petrol alone for the commute (2006 Cayman S) I don't think that's too bad ;)

True - range for 100+ mile journeys is an issue (but charging is prevalent at motorway service stations @ £6 for half an hour's charging which would get you from 0% to 80%) which is why the Leaf is perfect as a second car, commuter car or 'going to the shops' runabout. It costs approx. £2.50 to 'fill up' from empty on an Economy 7 tariff :)

When I got the first Leaf in 2005 Nissan did a thing where if you needed a petrol / diesel car for long journeys then you could ring your dealer, give them notice and they'd sort you out with one - free of charge - for up to 14 days per year. Don't know if they still do that, but I never took advantage of it.
By cockney steve
@Nick T said
Considering I'd spend £250 a month on petrol alone for the commute (2006 Cayman S) I don't think that's too bad 

Wow! If you're going to put a Cayman in the same league as a Leaf, why not go a stage further, be even more eco-friendly and get an electrically assisted push-bike :lol:

Really, why not just spend ~ £20K on a Bentley Arnage or Rolls Seraph. Superb comfort, massive prestige, miniscule depreciation, and really does out-Jones the Jonses next door, if that's your bag......even the old Spirit still carries enormous prestige and that can be on your drive for under £10K. the savings buy an enormous amount of petrol, even at 14 mpg average......and remember, It's possible we'll be the last generation to be able to indulge ourselves on this scale.
cockney steve wrote: Really, why not just spend ~ £20K on a Bentley Arnage or Rolls Seraph. Superb comfort, massive prestige, miniscule depreciation, and ...

... take the gamble that you don't get hit with a massive maintenance bill if the daily use causes something to fail.

Great plan. :roll:

Rob P
By carlmeek
Rob P wrote:... take the gamble that you don't get hit with a massive maintenance bill if the daily use causes something to fail.

Sounds a bit like owning a 27 year old helicopter :)
By JonathanB
Rob P wrote:... take the gamble that you don't get hit with a massive maintenance bill if the daily use causes something to fail.

This is exactly why I'm not overly keen on an older car! Plus the safety aspects when putting my daughter inside.

So far I think I'm looking at test driving a BMW 330e, VW Golf GTE, Nissan Leaf.

Range would still worry me a bit with the Leaf - for example we have a family 1st birthday party coming up in October which at the moment I'm not sure I can get leave for. So it may be that Mrs B goes over earlier and I follow along later... trouble is that would be a 75 mile trip in one direction (work -> party) with nowhere to charge at the destination.
By johnm
Plus the safety aspects when putting my daughter inside.

How times change!

35 years ago our babies were in a carry cot in the back of Morris Minor Traveller :-) 18 years ago they learnt to drive in the same car and 5 years ago it was finally sold to a good home :-)