For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As we have an Amazon Echo , I thought it would be nice to have a switch(s) to control lights or fans or pond pump etc.

So it was with great excitment the package turned up today and I wired it in to a simple fan.

However - for the life of me I cannot see how you tell the "Smart Switch" your Wi-Fi credentials (SysID, PW etc) so that Alexa can actuall "see" this new smart device and be able to control it.

Even with a generic App loaded on my Android it goes round and round in circles looking for devices, and I am thinking the App wont find the smart switch until said smartswitch is able to connect to my network.

It seems a bit chicken and egg to me - I wondered if anyone else has had any problems trying to use one of these so called smart switches with either a phone app or via Alexa.

TIA
John
By riverrock
I have Fire Stick and Hive. I can either use the Hive "skill" or I can use the smart home functionality (I setup both). For the smart home functionality I had to go online to https://alexa.amazon.co.uk and register hive as a smart home device. If you have the mobile phone app - you can probably do it from there rather than via the website.
By Flying_john
Well it was tortuous but finally got Alexa to switch the switch.

On the side of the box (size of a fag packet) was a QR code link to the App one is supposed to use to tell the "cloud" about my device - or so it said. After a few mins downloading and interpreting the Chinglese Alexa recognised the device and I spent the rest of the evening annoying the wife, talking to Alexa switching the fan on and off.

Now whens the next switch arriving !.
By skydriller
Flying_john wrote:Well it was tortuous but finally got Alexa to switch the switch....

...you have to think about how tortuous it would be to have to actually go and flip the switch yourself.... :wink:

Regards, SD..
T67M liked this