For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Horbach wrote:Today, I received an answer to my initial email to the TfL about my fine.

They wrote:
Thank you for your recent correspondence received 14 August 2017, about the warning letter you've received.
The letter you've received is a warning letter and on this occasion no charges have been incurred.

But the letter I received from EPC PLC clearly asked for money and threats if I don't comply. I'll register my van now and wait for the response of EPC.

Yeah - like others have said - cowboys - they write the warning letters in a deliberately menacing way hoping to scam some cash from stressed and worried people.
By johnm
Horbach, you need to be careful. Your vehicle is not affected by the LEZ as it's a petrol one, so registration may ensure that your exemption is recorded on their database, but look at the words on the website form carefully.

Come back here for advice if you need it. The good news is that they have confirmed that there is nothing to pay at this point.
By nallen
The collection agents are clearly operating a different policy to that stated on the TfL website. I've written to TfL to tell them …
Horbach liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Horbach,

TfL is the boss on these matters, they have sent you an email that you are not liable to a charge.

Disregards stuff from EPC, they are cowboys just trying it on.

Why do you want to register your car and give them details.

If they hassle you again then either a) ignore them or b) send them a copy of the email of TfL and threaten them with legal action for harassment.

The UK is not Switzerland where you can expect some reasonableness from organisations.
Horbach wrote:Today, I received an answer to my initial email to the TfL

They wrote:
...operators of non-GB registered vehicles will need to register with us if the vehicle is affected by the LEZ Scheme

I'll register my van now and wait for the response of EPC.

Why?

Your vehicle is not affected by the LEZ scheme. You have no need to register

Rob P
By Grumpy One
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Imagine my disappointment when I discovered the LEZ scheme was about traffic. I dont want to talk about my visit to Milford.

Eh! What! :shock:
You've been to my village?
Wearing your usual frock I suppose ?? Why didn't you tell me? :?

Opportunity lost ..... We could have compared lipsticks :clown:
By nallen
Update: I complained to TfL about the way our visitor had been treated. I just got the following response:

"We can confirm as the vehicle is not registered in the UK, you would need to register for the LEZ.

This information states on the website that all operators of non-GB registered vehicles (i.e. vehicles that aren't registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency in Great Britain) will need to register with us if the vehicle is to be used within the Zone as we do not have a link to the foreign database to retrieve the vehicle's information."

But that's not what it says on your website, thought I. And so it goes on: left hand/right hand. I've written back …
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
I hate to be a party-pooper, but I do not think this is as clear-cut as the preceding posts suggest. All I know about the LEZ is what I have just looked at on the TFL website.

What I have read is that all foreign vehicles except cars and motorcycles must register before entering the LEZ. The purpose of registration is to prove in advance that your vehicle complies with the limits, not that it does not. This is separate and different to setting up an account to pay the LEZ charges if your vehicle does NOT comply.

The system is there so that vehicles that comply but look like they may not will not be sent a fine i.e. exactly the case with Horbach's vehicle.

The only doubt is whether the vehicle in question is a car or 'motor caravan'.
Motor caravans are defined as vehicles with living accommodation, comprised of the following as a minimum:
•Seats and a table
•Sleeping accommodation (which may be converted from the seats)
•Cooking and storage facilities, including an onboard or external water container
•At least one side window

edit: pipped to the post by CP, so I am not alone! I totally agree that it seems rather unfair to expect foreigners to know about this. I am vaguely aware of a similar scheme in Paris that affects all vehicles in rush-hour, but is there a central database? Something for the AA to take on maybe.
Motor caravans are defined as > 2.5T (which I doubt Horbach's is as most T3 campers are <2.4T GVW). I'd like to think that he should be able to get the invoice cancelled, but with the benefit of hindsight (a wonderful thing) he should have pre-registered.
By nallen
The website has a big button: "Check if your vehicle is affected". A visitor might well be entitled to use this, and like the OP, find he is not affected.

The website has another big button "All non-GB vehicles affected need to register in advance" [my emphasis].

A reasonable person would be entitled to assume that as button A has said the vehicle is not affected that button B does not apply.