For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Apparently the government are considering introducing a registration scheme for high powered lasers. While I don't have the slightest question about the potential danger of lasers I'm a bit lost as to why the government would put 'our' money into legislation when it already exists. Surely it would be better to put money into enforcement activity under existing legislation.
By kanga
IANAL, but AIUI, in UK it is not yet an offence to buy, import nor retail a high-powered laser; nor are retailers required to keep track of who buys them. I do not know if there is any requirement (law or regulation) for commercial packaging to include advice or instruction about where or how to use (or not to use) them. An offence arises only if they are misused, with a specific offence if they are pointed at an aircraft in flight.

Happy, as ever, to be corrected.
By avtur3
kanga wrote:IANAL, but AIUI, in UK it is not yet an offence to buy, import nor retail a high-powered laser; nor are retailers required to keep track of who buys them. I do not know if there is any requirement (law or regulation) for commercial packaging to include advice or instruction about where or how to use (or not to use) them. An offence arises only if they are misused, with a specific offence if they are pointed at an aircraft in flight.

Happy, as ever, to be corrected.

That is exactly what I understand, so my point is this horse has bolted as far as the supply chain is concerned, and given the wide variety of sources there is no chance of effectively regulating supply, therefore would it not be better to use whatever (limited) resources that are available to enforce existing rules.

As with drones the perpetrators of these mindless acts will not be deterred by rules, and regulation of the supply chain is unlikely to be effective.
Colonel Panic liked this
By romille
avtur3 wrote:
That is exactly what I understand, so my point is this horse has bolted as far as the supply chain is concerned, and given the wide variety of sources there is no chance of effectively regulating supply, therefore would it not be better to use whatever (limited) resources that are available to enforce existing rules.

As with drones the perpetrators of these mindless acts will not be deterred by rules, and regulation of the supply chain is unlikely to be effective.

I just don't know how you would enforce any law if it is not illegal to possess or use an unregistered laser. I imagine a registration scheme where people need to demonstrate why they need such a device accompanied by a amnesty where devices that people did not want to register could be surrendered, no questions asked. They did this with shotguns back in the late 1960's.
By kanga
Here is the news story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40907694

.. which seems to imply a consultation over regulation at point of commercial sale, which is more than there is currently. That is why I wrote 'yet' in my first reply. Whether this should further apply to private or commercial importation, or private sale, is not mentioned in the article, but might also be part of the consultation.

Yes, some horses have bolted, but there may be many more potential ones in the stable, as with drones. Obviously, the deliberate miscreants may well not be deterred nor detected by any new regulations, but it may determine some accidental ones.
By avtur3
kanga wrote:Yes, some horses have bolted, but there may be many more potential ones in the stable, as with drones. Obviously, the deliberate miscreants may well not be deterred nor detected by any new regulations, but it may determine some accidental ones.

I totally agree with you, its just that I'm taking a rather pragmatic point of view on this, resources for enforcement of many (most?) laws are somewhat stretched these days and where they are deployed there needs to be good chance of success. Personally, I don't think that changing the law on the supply chain will have any effect on the lawless activity we are talking about.

My somewhat cynical opinion is based on serving a few years in law enforcement, in the same way I don't believe that punishment is any real deterrent to those who commit crime. When involved in "fisticuffs" with a law breaker the notion of likely sentence never appeared to alter their approach to resisting arrest