For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
Take any psychology or psychiatry grad and go through DSM-V with them. It's a fascinating attempt at classifying the human condition. Doomed to failure from the outset but that's a different story.

Gender dysphoria is a subset of those whose emotional landscape would be classed as transgender. In all the human emotional landscapes, both are a tiny fraction - and I am happy to be corrected on this one - but I don't think any peer reviewed studies have been done into the effectiveness or otherwise of transgender individuals in the military - or their disruptive "influence" on fellow serving members.

Just a guess, but there's probably just as many in the US Military with symptoms of Somatic System Disorder. Probably many more paraphiliacs. Without a shadow of a doubt a lot more sociopaths and full blown psychopaths. Many more schizophrenics will be in that mix.Their effectiveness or otherwise on operational capabilities...yeah....not really optimistic they've been studied either.

Before I get shot down in flames - of course there is a difference between psychological/emotional characteristics and clearly defined psychiatric disorders.

I'm making zero academic, moral or other judgement on the whole "trans" debate. I don't have to.

Look at the facts, Trump picks on a tiny defenceless minority that "upsets" the "sky-fairy" brigade and knee jerk anti-everything (but gun) brigade. It's a marketing wipe-out without spending more than the price of a Tweet.

If this was the 70s he'd be screaming about Fags and probably those of a certain dermal melanin load.

To Erin, a huge amount of respect for posting here. Alas I'm afraid that humanity will never fully understand your predicament- but I sincerely hope many more will at least accept your perspective. "Courage" as the Francophones most aptly say.
JoeC, FlyinErin, eltonioni liked this
By kanga
I assume and hope that President understands that a Tweet does not amount to a Directive, an Order, a Regulation or a Law .. perhaps he does, and realises that an intention declared in one, later unfulfilled, can be presented to his supporters as evidence of the swamp to be drained on Capitol Hill and the Courts. However, my worry is that he has not got out of macho CEO mode, where a word or idea from the boss requires instant implementation, and failure is unforgivable betrayal. Or he has got jealous of those despots he meets for whom it is true. :shock:
By Ben
kanga wrote:I assume and hope that President understands that a Tweet does not amount to a Directive, an Order, a Regulation or a Law ..:

I don't think that this idiot understands anything. People who judge other by their sexuality, colour, religion or the shape of their little finger has a serious problem. The sooner Trump is history the better for all. Time for the American to wake up.
I suspect that long after his death historians will be arguing over whether Trump is very clever or thick as two short planks. Ditto whether he's genuinely a racist bigot.

However, I'm quite certain that what he is bright ennough to realise is that he has many supporters who are racists, religious bigots, and xenophobes. He's keeping the faithful happy.

You see the same in Britain with some of the lunatic right wing of the Conservative party and their continued whingeing about specific immigrants, and gay marriage.

G
By eltonioni
I don't suppose that many of us on this side of The Pond think he's a genius but whether he's a racist / sexist / whateverist, the current & past first cabinet photos seem instructive as to what his supporters are at least supposed to think he is;
kanga liked this
By OCB
eltonioni wrote: the current & past first cabinet photos seem instructive as to what his supporters are at least supposed to think he is;

In need some serious photoshop training? :scratch:

Maybe it's just my screen - but the Trump photo looks only slightly better than something from N Korea or some regional govt in China...
By kanga
nallen wrote:The Guardian quotes John McCain (a hero if ever there was one – although, of course, Trump thinks differently):
Arizona senator John McCain, who chairs the Senate armed services committee, said: “The president’s tweet this morning is yet another example of why major policy announcements should not be made via Twitter.”

He added: “Any American who meets current medical and readiness standards should be allowed to continue serving. There is no reason to force service members who are able to fight, train, and deploy to leave the military – regardless of their gender identity.”

With Trump and McCain back in the news ..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/us_and_canada

.. this Canadian cartoon seems apposite

mmcp42 liked this