For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
Charging from a 13amp outlet at home is a leisurely affair, but for most people who will charge overnight this isn't a major concern. Certainly I'd have a home charging point installed, usually if buying new, there is some form of subsidy or offer tied in to the purchase for such an installation.

Rob P
By morticiaskeeper
The comments about available charging remind me of my previous car, LPG powered. The range was 170 miles, I had a booklet showing where fuel was available and all journeys were planned with reference to that booklet.

It became a pain in the ****, but the recharge was only a couple of minutes and I did have the option of buying petrol.

Until the actual, and perceived, charging issues are addressed, I don't believe there will be a mass take up of EV.

If I could afford it, I would drive an EV everyday, but that's not possible while I need to keep a weekend car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
By PaulB
What will the Tesla Model 3 do to the market?

Tesla has simplified the manufacturing process “dramatically,” Musk said. In the same factory space where Tesla can build 50,000 Model S or Model X cars, it will soon be able to produce 200,000 Model 3s. Part of that is due to a simplified package of options.

The new Extended range version claims a range of 310 miles with a 30min charge of 170 miles.

I did consider putting a deposit down.... maybe wish I had now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... mile-range
By eltonioni
Sir,

I read with interest your report on the horseless carriage which your correspondent experienced at the Shropshire County Fair. When I am required to travel to town on business I have a perfectly good horse which requires only minimal food and stabling before delivering me to my destination. For high days and outings our small carriage has served my family well and I anticipate many more decades of excellent service without resort to the so called motor car with its noxious smells, interminable cacophony, and the chap with a red flag going on ahead.

God save King Edward!
Rob P, nallen, flybymike and 1 others liked this
By Rob P
PaulB wrote:What will the Tesla Model 3 do to the market?

Certainly give a kick up the backside to the more tardy manufacturers

Rob P
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Edwardian petrol-pumps had a large glass ,calibrated cylinder atop the body and a big crank -handle on the side..the attendant (remember them?) used the handle to pump Motor-spirit to the required measure in the glass. the nozzle was placed in the tank (or 2-gallon can) and gravity completed the dispense when the release valve was opened.
Perhaps modified exercise-bikes could be provided for the EV enthusiast to recharge their vehicle battery- a bleed from the EV battery could power the field on an alternator, -so moch more efficient and eco-friendly than a dynamo, if a little sweaty.
By Bill Haddow
johnm wrote:Why all new houses don't already have solar panels in the roof and a battery room is a mystery, it must surely make sense for the future and the basic technology is already there and if the building regs made it compulsory the price would come whistling down in a flash

Highly unlikely, make them compulsory and their price will go through the roof (oops).
Look at what happened to the price of replacement wing mirrors when a cracked/broken mirror became a MOT failure item.

Bill H
By kanga
Bill Haddow wrote:.., make them compulsory and their price will go through the roof (oops)...

why should not a predictable volume demand lead both to economies of scale in production (and, maybe, production in UK) and to competition ?

ISTR one of the earlier regulatory decisions by the last Government was to rescind the requirement planned or enacted by their predecessors for better roof insulation standards for new builds. This was defended as 'consumer choice'. I'm guessing that new buyers who chose to have it done before occupation will have ended up paying more to their developers than the effective cost to the developers of installing it in all the properties on a development site. Meanwhile, buyers who did not will have added a bit to the nation's energy requirements as well as their own utility bills in future. There are times when 'the almighty invisible hand of the free market' needs a bit of 'nudge' for the 'common good' ?

It is noticeable, hereabouts, that many State schools now have solar panels on their roofs. I do not know whether this is County Council policy or the result of a hardheaded economic decision by Governors. As the sunniest days are likely to be in the summer holidays, I'm guessing they have negotiated a worthwhile FIT with the generators.
johnm liked this
By stevelup
By the time the Tesla Model 3 is widely available, the Germans will be on the cusp of delivering 'proper' electric vehicles.

I've just taken delivery of a BMW 530e which will tide me over until this happens. It is a great compromise - I'm currently averaging over 100mpg on my daily commute, and used it all day today around town without firing up the ICE once.

I have no interest in Tesla. Apart from the electric powertrain, they are inferior in every possible way to the current generation of European cars.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By cockney steve
@Bill Haddow said
Look at what happened to the price of replacement wing mirrors when a cracked/broken mirror became a MOT failure item.

Not quite true! It depends on the age of the car! It progressed from a single mirror, either internal, or external, to an offside external and an internal, or2nd. external on the nearside, to, AIUI external mirrors both sides, optional internal.
Had a tug once, in a Proton with a broken O/s mirror. Convinced Plod there was adequate rear vision through the remaining piece, and as I had an intact n/s mirror,plus an internal one, I was legal and good to go. The MOT tester said the car was too modern and had to have 2 external mirrors, but passed the broken one as it still had adequate rear field of view. :D
By OCB
stevelup wrote:By the time the Tesla Model 3 is widely available, the Germans will be on the cusp of delivering 'proper' electric vehicles.

I have no interest in Tesla. Apart from the electric powertrain, they are inferior in every possible way to the current generation of European cars.

Production ramp-up targets are expected to hit 5000 a week by December and 8000 a week not long after.

Given that nothing happens in the European car industry during the summer, they have 12 weeks to get themselves all tooled up, procurement supply chain primed and space at dealerships etc. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! :D

Not that I'm in the market for a car - and having never been in a Tesla- is it just Tesla that are inferior, or US cars in general? Honest question!

Car stuff is often subjective- my wife for instance refused point blank to drive my Gen ii Prius, for no rational reason. She didn't like the looks, and in the 45 min stop start nose to tail traffic she did twice a day if I were her I'd have much preferred the "dodgem car" style go faster and go slower simplicity of the Prius rather than the constant gear shifting she does.

TBH I'll look at a Tesla in a couple of years once my present company car has fully depreciated. The major European volume manufacturers don't deserve my money - the whole Dieselgate saga has done nothing to improve my already low opinion of them as Corporate entities.

Low pollution was a very large part of my buying decision when I bought my VW powered diesel Seat Alhambra. I could have saved myself at least 20% by going with a "dirtier" Ford s-max, but I wanted to do my bit for the environment.

Even now they keep lying. According to them, the "fix" has no impact. Horlicks. My engine now has the distinct "diesel rattle" that most definitely wasn't there prior. It is unimaginable their engineers haven't noticed these things. :evil:

I spent 10 years of my life rebuilding and repairing cars (passionate hobbyist mechanic-useless at bodywork but mechanically certainly more proficient than your average socket set cowboy at the local garage), probably switched out about 50 or so engines, tuned dozens more (often "by ear" - most advanced kit I had was a tach strobe, fancy multimeter and at the end a cheapo emissions meter). I know my engine is noisier since the "fix" and my fuel consumption has gone up. It's not my imagination. I don't really care about that, I do care that I was lied to, am still being lied to - and that the Yanks get compensation but us in Europe get diddly-squat, and are having to club together, get very expensive lawyers and sue the fokkers.
By OCB
malcolmfrost wrote:My delivery date is now showing as early 2019, so a few months more of driving my daughters Yaris :(

2019...typo??
:shock: