For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By James33
Bill Haddow wrote:
James33 wrote:In the aviation fraternity, it will be felt most by young pilots qualifying at UK flight schools and facing administrative restrictions if they want to fly for a EU-based carrier.

any more than if they want to fly for a carrier US-based, or Persian Gulf based, or Far East based, or .. ?

Of course they'll face less competition from Euro-yoof when applying to UK based carriers.

Bill H

Clearly no problem for the sand pit.

However, if applying to Easyjet / Ryanair... for example, they could be posted to any number of EU bases.

Example, EZY is currently recruiting for Palma-based FO positions. At present, a UK pilot can get the job and just roll up there and start working. What happens to those kind of jobs after Brexit?
johnm liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This doesn't encourage me to believe that the UK govt has come any closer to connection with reality. They've never been able to develop a system in that sort of time frame in the whole history of mankind :roll: It usually takes procurement that long to get a supplier on board, let alone do the job. :roll:
By Flyin'Dutch'
Can anyone explain to me how Brexit would lead to taking back control of the borders but that the 'border' with NI will be a virtual one with no controls on immigration and goods?

Does the UK government live in an alternative reality from us mere mortals?

As one politician said this morning it would be a smuggler's paradise. He also suggested that Brexit would lead to a NI/RoI unification within the next decade.

I can see that he won't be proven wrong.
johnm, AlanC liked this
By johnm
As many of us expected, the more real practical issues emerge the less attractive the whole fiasco looks. There's absolutely no sign of any of the promised opportunities, just an endlessly growing list of problems to be solved, so far :(

Worse yet the Government looks increasingly stupid and the other 27 increasingly exasperated and that's no recipe for a successful negotiation :roll:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Can anyone explain to me how Brexit would lead to taking back control of the borders but that the 'border' with NI will be a virtual one with no controls on immigration and goods?

FD, we don't actually have a border with NI - tho' given the faff if you want to fly your little plane to the province you might think we do

Bill H
By riverrock
I've got dual British & Irish passports, since I was born in Northern Ireland. Got the Irish one a few years ago, when certain countries in Africa charged UK holders a premium for visas, as the UK charged them a premium for visas. Post offices in NI can deal with Irish passports just as easily as they can deal with UK ones (have forms for both).

Seem to remember it was pretty easy to apply - just needed birth certificate. If you weren't born in Northern Ireland (before the Good Friday agreement) and are relying on parents / grand parents - they have to have been registered as Irish Citizen before you can apply. Details here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... scent.html
My view is that
    a) whatever is said on the News now will PROB99 not be the final result
    b) whatever I say or do will not effect the outcome

ergo it is barely worth getting wound up by the daily drip drip on the News.
For a more serene life, ignore the news for the next couple of years and que sera sera
By Samsonite
riverrock wrote:I've got dual British & Irish passports, since I was born in Northern Ireland. Got the Irish one a few years ago, when certain countries in Africa charged UK holders a premium for visas, as the UK charged them a premium for visas. Post offices in NI can deal with Irish passports just as easily as they can deal with UK ones (have forms for both).

Seem to remember it was pretty easy to apply - just needed birth certificate. If you weren't born in Northern Ireland (before the Good Friday agreement) and are relying on parents / grand parents - they have to have been registered as Irish Citizen before you can apply. Details here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... scent.html

I only have an Irish passport ( for reasons best left off the forum) even though I was born in London, I needed my dads birth certificate, my parents marriage certificate and my own birth certificate to get it.

Anyone else going down the Irish route might also want to be aware that the list of people who can countersign your identity seems to be shorter and more limited than for a UK passport , especially given that now most doctors, bank managers and members of the plod wont sign such things.

I struggled a bit at my last renewal ... note to self get some more friends with "respectable" jobs :lol:
Samsonite wrote:Anyone else going down the Irish route might also want to be aware that the list of people who can countersign your identity seems to be shorter and more limited than for a UK passport , especially given that now most doctors, bank managers and members of the plod wont sign such things.

Over the years I have counter-signed loads of (UK) passport and photo driving licence applications. On no occasion did I receive a follow up to check that I had not been impersonated. Not once. (No wonder identity theft is so easy)

I once and only once signed a "proof of age" card application (for a pal's 18 year old daughter) and got a follow up phone call to check.

Each and every time I have counter-signed a shotgun or firearms application or renewal the police have contacted me to check, and quite right too.

I cannot understand why people are reluctant to countersign passport or driving licence stuff, you are only confirming that the person is who (s)he says (s)he is, and the photo is a reasonable likeness.

Bill H
Colonel Panic liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Bill Haddow wrote:I cannot understand why people are reluctant to countersign passport or driving licence stuff, you are only confirming that the person is who (s)he says (s)he is, and the photo is a reasonable likeness.
Bill H

Not so for a shot gun.

And as far as the others, there is plenty of other work to get on with.

:D
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Bill Haddow wrote:I cannot understand why people are reluctant to countersign passport or driving licence stuff, you are only confirming that the person is who (s)he says (s)he is, and the photo is a reasonable likeness.
Bill H

Not so for a shot gun.

And as far as the others, there is plenty of other work to get on with.

:D

FD it was quite clear from I cannot understand why people are reluctant to countersign passport or driving licence stuff that I was not referring to firearms or shotgun certificates in the context of reluctance to countersign. Signing these certificate applications / renewals comes with accepting some moral responsibility that you have no reason to believe the person concerned is not fit to possess firearms, which goes beyond agreeing yup, they are who they say they are, and the photo is not that bad !

Bill H.
By holyflyer
Anyone else going down the Irish route might also want to be aware that the list of people who can countersign your identity seems to be shorter and more limited than for a UK passport , especially given that now most doctors, bank managers and members of the plod wont sign such things.

From experience I can tell you that your local clergy are doing a roaring trade in counter signing non UK passport applications. Over the years I have probably countersigned several hundred applications for many different countries. The Irish Embassy is the only one that consistently rings and checks, along with a Caribbean embassy (Trinidad and Tobago, I think) who did a thorough check when I countersigned one of their documents to say the chap was actually alive and his pension should be paid.

My own application for an Irish Passport went in the day after the referendum and the green document was received a few weeks later. (They have taken on some 100 extra staff to process the applications). Used it several times now through Dublin Airport and so far on each occasion the officer has cheerfully said "welcome home".