For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By AerBabe
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My pine chest of drawers has started making my clothes smell musty and damp. Reading around, this is not an uncommon occurrence in wooden furniture. I'm currently experimenting with one drawer - I've wiped it with vinegar and sat it in the sun for a couple of days. Next is a sprinkle of bicarb... But I'm not convinced all this will help much, as the main structure of the unit may still cause stinkage!

It may come down to replacement - apparently I'm allergic to pine anyway, so this may not be a bad idea. What I can't find any information on is whether the type of wood makes a difference to its propensity to make ones stored clothes honk. Cedar is presumably the nicest ... Anything in the collective forum's knowledge banks that might help?
By morticiaskeeper
She Who Must Be Obeyed is having a similar problem at work, a primary school. Lemon and vinegar have been purchased and the experiment will be run over this weekend.

Results to be checked next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
By morticiaskeeper
Mix a paste of baking soda and lemon juice. Consistency should be that of a pancake mix.

Spread paste onto item. Let it set for about ten minutes, then spray with white vinegar.

When it has stopped fizzing, wipe with a damp cloth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
By Charles Hunt
How old are your drawers?

Have had a bedroom set for 30 years with no issues.

Is the property you are in damp and this is the root cause?
By PeteSpencer
Same here:

Virtually all our bedroom stuff is pine (new 30 years ago) and there is no trace of stinkitude : indeed the interior of the drawers smells a pine fresh as when we bought it all.

My guess is inherent damp in the affected rooms.: Why not invest in a small portable dehumidifier and make the test?

Peter
By johnm
I'd suspect condensation
By AerBabe
The drawers are only about seven years old.

The property doesn't seem damp, but maybe the lingering smell of smoke has distracted us. Come to think of it, I don't remember the drawers making my clothes smell before we moved; you may be on to something. We have had about enough of this property and the ongoing issues though, and intend to move asap. So maybe I'll hold off trying to sort this until we've gone. :thumleft:
By Genghis the Engineer
Butchers use dilute bleach on wooden butchers blocks.

Whatever you use, and once dried out, I wonder if you shouldn't then paint the inside of the drawers - that should trap any residual odours and especially the problematic pine odours.

G
By AerBabe
Interesting that none of you have answered the question I asked... only the question you think I asked. :lol:

(Although the comment about damp was helpful. :wink: )
By profchrisreed
The problem with answering your question is that is contains an assumption that many kinds of wood can create stinky clothes. But in fact, most species of wood are almost odour-free once seasoned and made into furniture (unseasoned wood, which you might find in cheap furniture, is another matter, but as the furniture will distort and crack as the wood seasons, stink is the least of your worries!).

There are some exceptions - cedar has a pleasant smell which takes a long time to fade, as does rosewood, and there are various stinkwoods (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinkwood) which you wouldn't want for your knicker drawer. Those aside, pine should be no worse than any other, and shouldn't cause allergic problems unless you start sanding it.

However, damp wood does tend to emit odours, and also damp allows fungi to grow which also can be smelly. So my money is on damp.

Silica gel sachets (dried out regularly in a low oven) should deal with mild damp. And you can buy cedar wood balls to place in the drawer to produce an actively pleasant smell.
By Paul_Sengupta
AerBabe wrote:What I can't find any information on is whether the type of wood makes a difference to its propensity to make ones stored clothes honk.

I've always found that plastic coated chipboard is fine...
Charles Hunt liked this