For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By chevvron
matthew_w100 wrote:ARE there any lady science teachers? I've never seen one.

Sad but true.

Back in the '60s we had a female chemistry teacher. She occasionally wore a black cardigan to work.
One day she appeared from the chemical store cupboard, closely followed by the physics master, with chalk fingerprints on her tits.
She couldn't understand why she got so many laughs during her lesson.
Spooky liked this
By Rob P
Not as tasty as Whoppers.

Rob P
By chevvron
Mike Tango wrote:Yup, let's dumb down Dr Who because after all there isn't enough dumbing down in the world already. Good plan.

For me, Dr Who died when Sylvester McCoy took over.
That pratt was so bad they had to switch it from 30 min at weekends to 1 hour midweek in a pathetic attempt to boost audience figures.
They 'killed' programmes like 'Emergency Ward 10' and 'General Hospital' the same way, although admittedly they were ITV not BBC.
By PaulB
Anyway the important thing is that Dr Who comes from Kirklees in God's Own County, as does Jean-Luc Picard..... and supposedly Robin Hood is buried there.

Not that Kirklees really exists... it's just a figment of some boundary planner's imagination. However, Jodie Whittaker comes from Skelmanthorpe, a few miles SE of Huddersfield and Sir Patrick from Mirfield just East of Huddersfield.
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
matthew_w100 wrote:ARE there any lady science teachers? I've never seen one.

Sad but true.

I had an awesome one. Probably this is not unrelated to the fact I'm here working in STEM...

(Years later she turned out to be married to one of my flying instructors! I had the hardest possible time not calling her 'miss' at flying club Christmas Dos)
By MikeB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
leiafee wrote:That'd kinda work better if the Doctor hadn't crashed and/or landed the TARDIS in the wrong place in pretty much every other story for the past 50 odd years of course...

That is of course due to the fact that the Doctor struggled to find an Examiner with an EASA Tardis rating to sign his BFR :evil:
leiafee, Iceman liked this
By scottish_ppl
Cant post Tom Baker without the awesome Jon Pertwee and Sarah Jane as well...

Suspect that which version of the Doctor one venerates is as much a reflection of the posters age as the greatness or otherwise of the program at any given time.

Ridders liked this
By kanga
A few years ago we visited Lord Howe Island

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Howe_Island

.. recommended for aviation buffs as the last place to support scheduled flying boat services; but that's another story.

It has a tiny permanent population, and a severely limited (by regulation, to prevent damage to its unique ecosystem) number of overnight visitor spaces. It has radio but no TV, and does now have internet facilities. We visited the small island museum, mostly to indulge my flying boat interest. The young curator on duty wanted to talk to me only about who I thought was the best Doctor. It turned out that he had watched them all obsessively on boxsets, and was surprised to discover that any visiting Brit was any less informed (or even interested) than he was. It is evidently a great cultural export .. :)
Charles Hunt liked this