For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
So now control-freak Blunkett has been caught at it.

Is there such a thing as an honest politico? Anywhere?

Rob P
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Is there such a thing as an honest politico?

Seemingly not.
Anywhere?

IF so they must be on the list of endangered species.
By poetpilot
We should ban hunting them then :twisted:
By Timothy
I firmly believe that some politicians are wholly sincere, honest and beyond reproach. Tony Benn is one, Lord Carrington another. Dare I say it, although she was ghastly in every way, Maggie seemed pretty honest and well-intentioned, if arrogant and mis-guided. Neil Kinnock, John Smith, James Callaghan. They do exist.

But such people never quite reach the top of the greasy pole.
By jane
Long time ago (1978/9) I had a lot of respect for the voting public of Botswana. They only voted in decent politicians for whom I also had respect. I noticed that one guy, whom I knew slightly, who promised all, was not voted in as people could see through his charade. Unfortunately I gather it is no longer like that.
By Rob P
Timothy wrote:I firmly believe that some politicians are wholly sincere, honest and beyond reproach. Tony Benn is one, Lord Carrington another. Dare I say it, although she was ghastly in every way, Maggie seemed pretty honest and well-intentioned, if arrogant and mis-guided. Neil Kinnock, John Smith, James Callaghan. They do exist.

Fair enough, but such people never quite reach the top of the greasy pole.

But Benn is as mad as a bag of frogs and Kinnock didn't exactly come out of the European Gravy Train spotless.

I may have to concede Thatcher though.

Rob P
By Colonel Panic
Rob P wrote:I may have to concede Thatcher though.

Wasn't she on the (albeit) receiving end of lustful advances from Lord Archer? :shock:
By Rob P
Thinking back, I do seem to recall some fuss over diverting the entire RAF (Both our aircraft) to Africa in order to look for her somewhat hapless rally-driving son.

Very small beer on the sleazescale though.

Archer? A politician of our times personified.

Having said that, I have more respect for his honest approach to nooky as a commercial transaction, handing HIS money over to the lady, as opposed to allegedly using 'our' first class rail tickets and ministerial influence to get his end away. (Can we say that here?)

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
By vintage ATCO
Rob P wrote:Thinking back, I do seem to recall some fuss over diverting the entire RAF (Both our aircraft) to Africa in order to look for her somewhat hapless rally-driving son.

That was the Beech 200 of United Biscuits, use to based at EGLD. The MD was a personal friend of Maggie.

Personally, I liked Maggie and don't think we have had a decent PM since.
By Rob P
vintage ATCO wrote:That was the Beech 200 of United Biscuits, use to based at EGLD. The MD was a personal friend of Maggie.

My word. The RAF is in a worse state than I thought. Does it have a Sidewinder fit?

Rob P

I think Hague might have been good given the chance. Certainly better than what we got instead.
By Steve Morley
The Belgrano fiasco where Clive Ponting got prosecuted and aquitted for revealing documents which proved Mrs Thatchers ministers misled parliament about its sinking all happened without her knowledge then.

Right.
By poetpilot
Allegedly.

I'm sure you meant to say that Steve...

What beats me is how Blunkett (allegedly) reviewed the visa application to check for its correctness.

I haven't heard anyone point out yet that the man is blind. :shock:

Allegedly.
By Timothy
Steve Morley wrote:The Belgrano fiasco where Clive Ponting got prosecuted and aquitted for revealing documents which proved Mrs Thatchers ministers misled parliament about its sinking all happened without her knowledge then.

There is a lot of contradictory evidence about the Belgrano (the real one), but the evidence of sleaze and cover-up is rather weak.

Ponting was not found guilty "Beyond reasonable doubt."