For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
Alexa remains a brilliant piece of kit. Linked to the JBL Extreme she provides music, entertainment and all manner of useful stuff.

BUT

I love BBC Radio 4. I sometimes listen to Radio 2 (Usually when R4 is droning on, yet again, about Brexit). Alexa accesses BBC programmes via Tune-In and for me it is incredibly flaky. Anyone else have the same issue? Connect her to Aadvark Blues and she never misses a beat.

If I bluetooth BBC iPlayer to the JBL from my phone it is perfect and stable, so I am assuming it is not the iPlayer, or my broadband that is at fault.

Any thoughts?

Rob P
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just tried with my Fire TV Stick: "Internal Decoder Error" for all "Tunein" channels.
Sounds like their amazon feed is having issues.

Tunein app on my phone works fine.
Rob P liked this
By garethep
Update......just tried it and seems to be fine. The only caveat is that I am only using the internal speaker of the dot so any "flakyness' may not be obvious.......as an aside, I've had the dot for 3 days......it's bloody brilliant!
By Colonel Panic
We very occasionally have issues with our Dot c/w Sonos speaker when playing TuneIn R4, but if it continues for more than a few minutes rebooting the Dot (power off/wait/on) normally resumes the service :)
By Paul_Sengupta
The first definition:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/radio

radio
NOUN

1 [mass noun] The transmission and reception of electromagnetic waves of radio frequency, especially those carrying sound messages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio

Radio is the technology of using radio waves to carry information, such as sound, by systematically modulating properties of electromagnetic energy waves transmitted through space, such as their amplitude, frequency, phase, or pulse width. When radio waves strike an electrical conductor, the oscillating fields induce an alternating current in the conductor. The information in the waves can be extracted and transformed back into its original form.
By malcolmfrost
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Whatever happened to listening to the radio off the air? Is there no proper radio which can connect to these things to be controlled?

I can't get LBC on a radio at home or in far flung parts of the world, so Tune In is fantastic.
By Paul_Sengupta
malcolmfrost wrote:I can't get LBC on a radio at home or in far flung parts of the world, so Tune In is fantastic.

Ah, but this started out with Radio 2 and 4 in East Anglia!
By PeteSpencer
My Amazon Echo arrived today: half price in the Prime sale (OK, pedants, 53% price) :roll:

What a fantastic piece of kit: As a Prime subscriber I now seem to have limitless music at my fingertips.

And also have Alexa on my prime firestick on the lounge telly for shed loads of movies and stuff.

Time for a bit of couch potatoing I think :wink:

Peter
By Colonel Panic
PeteSpencer wrote:As a Prime subscriber I now seem to have limitless music at my fingertips.

Amazon's PrimeMusic is just a small subset of their UnlimitedMusic, but we too are enjoying it and have yet to find it inadequate. I particularly enjoy their curated playlists. :thumleft:
By Colonel Panic
Rob P wrote:Alexa accesses BBC programmes via Tune-In and for me it is incredibly flaky. Anyone else have the same issue? Connect her to Aadvark Blues and she never misses a beat.

Having previous said tat I didn't have any issues, I am also finding R4 almost impossible to listen to through Alexa / TuneIn. I installed the RadioPlayer skill, but that is far less intuitive to use than TuneIn, and TBH the flakiness is similar.

Interestingly playing R4 via TuneIn through the Sonos iOS app using the same speaker as the Echo Dot outputs to gives a rock solid sound.

When I listen to a Prime Music playlist via Alexa it never misses a beat, which makes me think that perhaps the Sonos app is better at buffering live radio than Alexa is, and maybe all this is caused by my carp ADSL feed; I rarely see better than 3-4mbps here :?
By chevvron
malcolmfrost wrote:I can't get LBC on a radio at home or in far flung parts of the world, so Tune In is fantastic.

11 am yesterday couldn't get Talksport on 1089 khz on my car radio, just 'white noise'. Seems OK again now.
Wonder what caused the problem?