For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Rob P wrote:Good news for the antique dealing community then :wink:

Rob P

Nobody knows the actual life span of a Volvo B18 (or B20) engine from the 60s/70s. We may well see Volvo Amazons on the road when they are true antiques (100+ years).
/Peter
Rob P, nallen, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
johnm wrote:I was more than a bit surprised to find that my neighbour's hybrid 4*4 does exactly the same MPG as my gas guzzling Subaru Outback i.e. 32.5. So for moment I'm in "What's the point of the added complexity?" mode.

In my view, none, and hybrids are soma for the people.

All electric, I think, is a great step forward
riverrock wrote:Is that book value our actual use? Hybrids are good for in city start stop driving but as much of the book value mpg is on open roads, it will be using the IC engine. So hybrids should reduce city pollution.
Me - I just think there is more to go wrong...

Actual use, the hydrid does fewer long journeys than mine typically
My hybrid which I'm picking up next week will save me £many hundreds per month in company car tax. It's the best part of two seconds quicker to 60 than the already nippy diesel it replaces. So for me, it's perfect.

I'm afraid that although fact that it is zero emission whilst pootling around town is great, it's very much a secondary benefit to me!

Complexity? Don't care - I'll have got rid of it before the warranty runs out.

Had fun in this today...

Paul_Sengupta liked this
Not sure the Volvo statement is all that it first seems though; all new models from 2019 could well be just that - "new" models (and not facelift existing ones), and IIRC Volvo's new model history has been glacial in the past. And even then, many of them will be hybrid anyway.

Marketing blah designed to grab acres of column inches just before the French make a similar pledge?
Miscellaneous liked this