For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PaulB
OK, I have a voice recorder, but it's a really old one and the only way to get files off it is to play them to another device and record them in real time on that device.

The other device in question is a Mac. i have a MacBook and an iMac, neither of which seem to have a Mic input. Even when I've crossed this bridge, what software do I use? The Interweb suggests QuickTime Player, but I don't seem to have that.

For the techies, both machines run OSx sierra.

(If all else fails, I'll get my windows laptop down from on top of the wardrobe but it'll probably take about 6 hours to apply all the updates that have been released since it was last used!)

As always, thanks in anticipation...
By OCB
Highly likely your headphone input on your Macs also have mic input.

GarageBand does recording, but there's a bunch of other free apps that you can record to - like VLC. The secret on the Mac is getting the Input channel correct. Go to Sound in System Preferences and select whatever the inline input is called.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
OCB wrote:Highly likely your headphone input on your Macs also have mic input.

It's not highly likely, it's certain!
By OCB
GrahamB wrote:

It's not highly likely, it's certain!

Umm, I have friends who still contact me for help with 80s Macs.

Macs from 2012 onwards don't do dual input/output on that single line. PITA as I found out last week as I tried to marry up an electric guitar to my Mac Book Pro. The 2010 iMac has hard input and hard output lines - but not bluetooth LE (where I had midi FX pedals attached) . My MBP from about 2014 only has single audio line. It doesn't do concurrent input and output - as older macs used to do.

If I want to get the Mac Book Pro + various widgets connected "through" then I need to buy a 3rd party bridge device. Which is bo llox as the hardware is more than capable of doing bi-directional in real time.
By GrahamB
I have had two MacBook pros, including a 2017 latest model, with a single port for in/out. I regularly use them both for Skype and BlueJeans V/C with a pair of Bose stereo headphones with volume/on-off controls built into in the in-line mike. I have also used them for picking up phone calls on toi the iPhone on the Mac.
By PaulB

GarageBand does recording, but there's a bunch of other free apps that you can record to - like VLC. The secret on the Mac is getting the Input channel correct. Go to Sound in System Preferences and select whatever the inline input is called.

There's only one - internal mic (or do I have to choose a prog first?)

In my innocent little mind I thought that there's be some native app that'd create an mp3 from a mic input.

I might get the windows machine from the top of the wardrobe tonight!
By GrahamB
PaulB wrote:There's only one - internal mic (or do I have to choose a prog first?)

Plug in an external mike and it will magically change to 'external mike'.

There are free apps in the App Store for recording audio.
By stevelup
You can get some really nice USB microphones these days. I'd consider going down that path.

Plugging a microphone into the headphone jack will not magically make it appear as a microphone. That will only work if it has a four pole connector (such as a headset, or Apple earbuds), of if you buy an adapter.

Or just try the on-board mic - it's surprisingly good.

All Macs have QuickTime Player on them - it's a core part of the OS. Just hit CMD+SPACE and type 'quick' into the search box. It should be the top hit.

Then it's just File > New Sound Recording or Ctrl+Alt+Cmd+N if you're a keyboard shortcut freak.
By rats404
Based on the recommendation of several people who do some fairly serious podcasting, I bought an Audi-Technica AT2020 USB mic for my Macbook Pro. It's excellent for voice.
By PaulB
I already have the audio recorded on an ancient Olympus recording device. This devise has no removable storage and no USB. The only way to get the recording off the device and onto another is to replay the recording through the headphone out put and connect that to the Mic input do something that can record what it receives (and hopefully convert to MP3)

It seems that this isn't easy on a mac so I'll get my PC from the top of the wardrobe and try that.... it may still have Winamp installed! :-)
By PaulB
Flipping heck... it's not easy using sound recorder on Win10 either!

I can make it work on an old XP machine, but something's not set up right as the quality is awful!