For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
In February of this year, the Royal Mail stopped delivering to our address. We previously believed that they were bound by a universal service commitment, but it appears they are able to ditch uneconomic propties such as ours with very little option for effective redress from the householder. We are neither particularly remote nor inaccessible.

If anyone else on this forum has had a similar thing happen to them, or if you know anyone similarly affected, please would you contact me by pm so I can share your experience.

Thanks.
I suspect it is economic pressures post privatisation, Pete. From comments made to us, we are not unique.

Royal Mail have justified this on the basis of what we see as a frivolent health and safety case. As no postman, or anyone else to our knowledge, has ever been injured accessing our property, we don't accept this justification. We live at the end of a completely flat, but potholed, farm track, and we regularly access our home in a bog standard two wheel drive Skoda Fabia.
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I read the draft regulation and there did seem to be a clear definition - 7.5 minutes on private road from public road to door on difficult roads - a total of 15 min out of postman's way. Placing your post-box within that range would seem to shoot that fox adequately. The H&S case as I read it was temporary - no more than 12 months - which I'm guessing is there for things like dogs and planned works.

Very few other exemptions by OFCOM. A few politically motivated ones like not delivering after the Battle of the Boyne holiday.

OFCOM worse than useless when I used to complain about the cable TV companies but I guess a complaint can't hurt if sense doesn't prevail.
Paultheparaglider liked this
Pete L wrote:I read the draft regulation and there did seem to be a clear definition - 7.5 minutes on private road from public road to door on difficult roads

At the speeds they drive at, that could be 10 miles off the public road.........

Royal Mail very difficult to deal with, in my experience, as they are hidden behind all the trading companies. The bloke in the Post Office has no interest in your problems with Royal Mail as he isn't employed by them.
By avtur3
Paultheparaglider wrote:In February of this year, the Royal Mail stopped delivering to our address.

Just asking ... but stopped delivering at all or stopped delivering a guaranteed service ...

If sent a letter to you how would I know that RM would not undertake to deliver it?
If I post a first class mail envelope to my neighbour half a mile away, it used to go down to Inverness to get slotted by postcode. Now it does a round trip of 300 miles to Edinburgh !
The postman was the prime reason I tarred my 550M of farm roadway - potholes would be ponds within a week in wet weather as they came down the road flat out. I could never understand where all the bliddy gravel chips went.
They stopped delivering completely, avtur3. We have been told that we can collect mail from the local sorting office during certain hours, but in protest at their actions we have, so far, refused to do this. I appreciate that I am being somewhat bloody minded about this, but I'm irritated by the sneaky way they have gone about stopping service.

They are apparently obliged to return mail to sender after 18 days if not collected. I assume that only applies to anything with a return address, and that anything else will be destroyed after that period. Fortunately, in this day and age, it is much easier to survive without physical post.
By seanxair
I would be livid if this was me as it smacks of any excuse to avoid the 'inconvenience' of not being able to drive flat out.

We are absolutely blessed with our regular post lady who is cheerful, kind and engaging. She will go out of her way to make sure we get our letters and parcels and doesn't seem to be finishing work any later for it either.
When she is off we either have the miserable jump out and chuck it in the box bloke who can't move off without wheelspinning or the lazy one who will do anything to give us all the mail for the inlaws down the farm drive or across the road. Excuses such as 'thought I saw a tractor on the drive' 'the gate is closed' 'thought the dogs were out' (elderly labradors) or 'its snowing'. Idle tw**

I suggest Paul that you post yourself some fresh fish daily with your own address clearly marked as SENDER. They can either stomach deliverying it or keeping it for 18 days before destroying it!!
Flyin'Dutch', flybymike liked this
By avtur3
Paultheparaglider wrote:They stopped delivering completely, avtur3. We have been told that we can collect mail from the local sorting office during certain hours, but in protest at their actions we have, so far, refused to do this. I appreciate that I am being somewhat bloody minded about this, but I'm irritated by the sneaky way they have gone about stopping service.

Wow ... I'm genuinely sorry to hear that ... although we live in south Manchester suburbia we do sometimes find that we have to collect mail/packages from the local sorting office, their hours of opening are ridiculously limited considering the 24/7 world we live in. As for dropping the universal delivery then i'm shocked and fully understand you frustration.
Paultheparaglider liked this
By skydriller
seanxair wrote:We are absolutely blessed with our regular post lady who is cheerful, kind and engaging. She will go out of her way to make sure we get our letters and parcels and doesn't seem to be finishing work any later for it either.
When she is off we either have the miserable jump out and chuck it in the box bloke who can't move off without wheelspinning or the lazy one who will do anything to give us all the mail for the inlaws down the farm drive or across the road. Excuses such as 'thought I saw a tractor on the drive' 'the gate is closed' 'thought the dogs were out' (elderly labradors) or 'its snowing'. Idle tw**

This sounds soooo familiar to me living in France, so its not a uniquely RM thing. We now have a different twist in that they use an electric car, so now you dont hear them coming.

Regards, SD..
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
The annoying thing for us is that our previous postman had become a good friend. He always used to deliver at the end of his shift so he could stop for a coffee and a chat, and he took his delivery responsibilities very seriously. We used to tell him if he wanted we wouldn't mind if he only popped down now and again, and certainly not for anything he knew was junk mail. But, he always came regardless. We would tell him when we were off to Hong Kong as we wouldn't get the mail anyway to save his time, but he would still come down and let us know by email all was well back home - a great peace of mind for a remote householder.

We have gone from being the Royal Mail's biggest fans to having absolutely no respect for them as a company whatsoever.

I think about their old TV ads and sigh. The world is changing. And, not for the better.

They don't deserve the Royal title any more. Although I bet they won't stop serving Buck House. Perhaps I should redirect our mail there? :wink: