For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Can anyone offer a sensible explanation of why 'everyone' on Facebook etc appears to believe that Teresa May is solely responsible for a tower block burning down?

I really can't be a***d to try and unravel the facts from the dross.

Rob P
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:Can anyone offer a sensible explanation of why 'everyone' on Facebook etc appears to believe that Teresa May is solely responsible for a tower block burning down?

Rob P

a) Because she's in charge of the government and if anything goes wrong it must be the fault of the government as far as these people are concerned.

b) Being a bit busy, having a twitchy security detail and probably not wanting to get in the way, she failed to go and hug any victims or friends or acquaintances of the above.

c) Not many people actually like her.
Barcli liked this
johnm wrote:
Rob P wrote:Can anyone offer a sensible explanation of why 'everyone' on Facebook etc appears to believe that Teresa May is solely responsible for a tower block burning down?

Rob P

a) Because she's in charge of the government and if anything goes wrong it must be the fault of the government as far as these people are concerned.

b) Being a bit busy, having a twitchy security detail and probably not wanting to get in the way, she failed to go and hug any victims or friends or acquaintances of the above.

c) Not many people actually like her.

But a big plus in her favour - she hates kids.
I'm not in any way affected by comments on Facebook or any of those 'social' websites.
Why? Quite simple, I don't subscribe to any of them.
It seems to me that:-
1. The tower block was a 'dumping ground' for immigrant families.
2. Some of those families probably (and illegally) sub-let rooms so it was overcrowded.
3. The company who did the re-furb used sub-standard materials which 'met' the minimum standard required and made a whacking profit from the council for doing so.
Last edited by chevvron on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
cockney steve liked this
By johnm
Rob P wrote:I do hope the people who rented the flat at the start of June get their deposit back.

https://www.openrent.co.uk/property-to- ... w11/219191

Rob P

Hmmmm, tricky to manage this social housing stuff. I wonder if Kensington and Chelsea have a data processing arm that trawls the web for such mentions of their property. If not mayhap they (and other authorities) should!
Nobody on my facebook is directly blaming her Rob. Maybe your choice of facebook friends is more fundamentalist lefty then mine :-)
Some people are citing Tory cost cutting policies, Tory greed etc etc. But I have yet to see any posts directly blaming her. If they exist they would be from the cross party tinfoil hat lot.
Yes Steve, I think you are right. I have a lot of young friends and "May must resign" is not uncommon.

It's why I posted here for a more reasoned explanation.

Rob P
By Dave W
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Some people are citing Tory cost cutting policies, Tory greed etc etc.

They must have seen the factual report citing where the failures and omissions lay, then. Or they have tinfoil hats and just want to take any opportunity to stick the boot in to a political opponent, regardless of the decency, respect or morality involved.

It'll be one or the other; I'm hoping it's the former and I wonder if they could supply a link.

(Yes, as you'll detect from this and my comment to you on FB, I'm bliddy livid about some people's behaviour over this. We don't even know the death toll yet, and people - of various political positions - think it's acceptable to score points based on nothing other than rank prejudice. It stinks.)
By avtur3

Rob P

Everyone of Facebook ???

The only mention of this on my FB feed is a conversation between architects and builders about the ins and outs of building regs, not a single mention of TM.

Whatever we may think there are certainly some very raw emotions on display this afternoon with local residents marching on the Kensington and Chelsea town hall. I don't condone civil disobedience but I can't begin to imagine how those caught up in this tragedy are feeling.

I can only go by what the media reports but I'm not sure anyone in either local or national government has come out and offered anything which can really be interpreted as credible assurances about the wellbeing of survivors.
Last edited by avtur3 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.