For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Low Approach
Hi Folks,

This is the subject that I've seen rolling past here couple years ago.
I'm at the stage where we have bought a house, and its time to get some insurance - so that my lady isn't left without means if I involuntary check out.
Aviva has quoted me 3x regular rate, due to "aviation risk" - so middle finger to them.
Anyone knows any companies who are bit more reasonable please ?
By Josh
My life insurance is arranged through Russ Stein who advertises on here.

I have arranged two policies through him and found him to be excellent in all respects.
By Tomahawker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
When remortgaging c. 2008, I ended up going direct to Legal & General, who put it in writing that up to 50hrs per year private flying would be covered under the standard policy with no additional costs :D
By JonathanB
Another Russ Stein customer (as of this year due to having a little 'un now) - very very helpful and knows about GA.
By Josh
A caution that if you're into aeros, cover for flying them is significantly more expensive than for any other GA flying.
By avtur3
Regardless of any loading for aviation risk I believe there is a basic rule for life cover that the earlier you become involved the less expensive it is; leave it too long and the cost can become prohibitive ... ask me how I know :(
By PeteSpencer
Ironically when I got married, started breeding, mortgages, school fees etc I probably went over the top with what my insurance man called 'cheap and cheerful ' term life insurance .

Then, twenty years later when I took up aviation I contacted all the various companies and not one of them increased the premiums.

No help to the OP I grant but shows that not all ins companies are money grubbing tosspots.

Peter
By Genghis the Engineer
I've had good experiences with CIS - Co-operative Insurance Services. They are somewhat old fashioned, sending a rep out still to meet you, go through options, and in my case wade through the various small print to get me products that didn't penalise me for my (allegedly) not safe or bland occupation and hobbies. I'd certainly recommend taking a good look at them. It shouldn't be hard to find a local rep.

G
By ChrisRowland
I had this many years ago when getting an Endowment mortgage. My competition gliding made a big difference with the first supplier.

We changed to a different supplier and there was no issue. Insurance brokers can help. IIRC we went with Clerical Medical but it was so long ago - over 30 years - that this won't be relevant.
By JoeC
PeteSpencer wrote:Ironically when I got married, started breeding, mortgages, school fees etc I probably went over the top with what my insurance man called 'cheap and cheerful ' term life insurance .

Then, twenty years later when I took up aviation I contacted all the various companies and not one of them increased the premiums.

No help to the OP I grant but shows that not all ins companies are money grubbing tosspots.

Peter

Same here, Which surprised me. I was told that if you took up flying AFTER the original insurance was taken out then there would be no change to the original policy.
By AerBabe
My mortgage is through Nationwide - they were quite happy with me flying. I can't remember the details, so perhaps I should check... :scratch: