For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
Leodisflyer wrote:That's a cracking anecdote and underlines the value of computer science as opposed to ICT.

Does anybody else remember asking for backup disks and being proudly given a punched hole folder containing the punched floppies?

What about departmental unix system that went down at the same time every evening with no kernel panic...... due to the cleaner pulling the plug to use the socket for their vacuum?

Cheers. Luck of the draw when it came to working with some exceptional folks. When I come to think of it, I don't remember if she was academically trained (probably mathematics) or not. Definitely one of the smartest I've ever worked with though.

Backup disks - seen a folder full of photocopies of the original disk, yes. One photocopy of the disk taken every night for months.

I did have an AS/400 + fibre channel storage under my desk at one point. I wasn't the only one with "POC that became PRD" systems under desks. Cleaners did regularly unplug things. Those little metal strips with holes got used - they finally started reading the signs saying 'CLEANERS - USE THIS PLUG HERE'.

Having to teach secretaries how to use a mouse...and finding out that all the secretaries had exactly the same password "as that made it easier to do each others' work". :shock:

Cringing when a secretary accidentally deleted an extremely import doc - I said over the phone it will be in the little trash bin. What does she do? Empties the trash bin (thinking that would take it out obviously) before I could say "noooo!!!"

Listened to a 3rd level mail colleague talk to the CEO of a rather important financial institution. Said CEO had accidentally hit send on a mail to external parties that he didn't mean to hit send on. CEO said he didn't care the impact on the (multi billion euro per hour) business - but the mail had to be stopped. Colleague told CEO he'd be just as well taking a pee in the local canal.

CEO didn't understand my colleague was trying to say - once it's gone, it's gone. You can't do a "recall" on external mail.

It remains the fastest I've seen someone fired though. Within 15 mins the mail guy was out the building...
kanga liked this