For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
I'm afraid that being born in 1963 does not qualify Rob as 'being around at the time'. Nobody ever admits to liking the music their parents like.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob L wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:What does m.b. 1963 mean?

male born 1963, Peter.

Then you most assuredly were not 'around at the time', unless at the age of twelve months you were magically able to express a valid opinion on ground-breaking music of the time....

We teenagers knew we were witnessing a revolution in pop music in the early 60s and wanted to be a part of it: history proved us right.

Peter (m.b.1945) :wink: (doing 'A' levels in 1963.)
By Chris Martyr
Peter . Whether one was a fan or whether one was not , I think we can all agree that the contents of your picture in post #1540714 are pretty darned impressive. :thumright:

Another thing which I'm sure we probably all agree on is ; liked 'em/hated 'em , there is no denying that along with the Mini Minor , the Mini-Skirt ,Twiggy , Carnaby St , Pirate Radio,,,etc,,etc
It was all part of what made our little island a world cultural giant. Especially after the dreadful carnage of our parents and grandparents' generation.

Being a '54 split-screen model , I guess I am something of an 'in-betweenie' in this debate agewise , but a lot of the birds in my class at school were Beatles mad . But the bird that I really fancied was a Small Faces fan . Maybe that's the reason why I failed to conform... :D

Oh and Rob , the lyrics of 'She Loves You Yeah Yeah Yeah' made a lot more sense than 'Semolina pilchards climbing up the Eiffel Tower' , or Plasticine porters with looking glass ties'.

Dear oh dear,,,,,What were they on. :?

I'm sure that Sir Paul and his chums were on pretty much the same as Sir Mick and his chums . Funny old world innit , 50+ years on. :wink:
By Sir Morley Steven
Syeve mb1955. I was a bit too youung for the Beatles as they split up when I was 15. My big sister went to see them at the Adelphi in Slough.
Notwithstanding all that I love nearly all their music. "She Loves You" ranks to me as one of the best pop songs of all time
By PeteSpencer
Chris Martyr wrote:
Another thing which I'm sure we probably all agree on is ; liked 'em/hated 'em , there is no denying that along with the Mini Minor , the Mini-Skirt ,Twiggy , Carnaby St , Pirate Radio,,,etc,,etc
It was all part of what made our little island a world cultural giant. .........................

.......................................................... , but a lot of the birds in my class at school were Beatles mad . But the bird that I really fancied was a Small Faces fan . Maybe that's the reason why I failed to conform... :D

:

We could get Radio Caroline in Cambridge in the 60s: used to giggle at the broadcasts of needles sliding all over the records during the north sea storms and of Keith Skues throwing up on air....
.............................. and the bird I was with at the time was a Beatles fan.
She is still a Beatles fan and my wife of 48 years (you can see two copies of With The Beatles in the image taken last week)

The years 1967 to 1973 were spent in London and were I can honestly say were probably some of the best years of our lives: Our mode of travel was a light blue Vespa 125 (same as the Cambridge police had for a time): ideal for the London traffic of its day.

Peter
Edit pedant-stopper.
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
By seanxair
I'd be getting that lot off to auction Pete and buying a new plane!

PeteSpencer wrote:
Chris Martyr wrote:It's quite interesting this . I bet that the people who 'show a preference' , i.e. Beatles fan/non-Beatles fan , are all people who were around at the time [ most of us ?]
As I remember it , you either were or you weren't , there were very few who were 'on the fence'.
I'm sure that most of the generations who have come along in the meantime , just regard the Fab-Four as part of our great cultural and musical heritage.
Maybe we're all just showing our age... :D

I dusted off my 52 year old valve driven Hacker GP15 record player last weekend along with my collection of original 50+ year old Beatles LPs .As I have posted elsewhere it took a while to get the wineglass stains and the fag tar off, but it scrubbed up well....

Listening to Sgt Pepper (in mono of course) as I type

Ah the nostalgia...
By seanxair
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
seanxair wrote:I'd be getting that lot off to auction Pete and buying a new plane!

Why, what's wrong with the one he's got?

Nothing probably as I don't know what it is! My point (which I didn't make clear) was that Beetles memorabilia and records are sought after (well on the Antiques Roadshow) so if me I'd cash in and go shopping for something shiny and fast. Pete might already have something shiny and fast.
By Chris Martyr
Sean , I have never had the pleasure of meeting either you or Peter. But I have a sneaking feeling that I can answer this one.

As much as I love flying , I have no intention of selling my soul to it . You cannot replace items which have been part of your life and soul for so many years . I have similar artefacts at home which are probably only valuable to me and to sell them would be unthinkable.

Flying will keep taking your money for as long as you want to keep chucking your money at it . [ I've known a few who have done that ]

Bet Pete wishes he still had his Vespa as well. I sold my Lambretta in 1971 for 25 quid .......... [DOH,,, :clown:]
By Rob P
Chris Martyr wrote: I have similar artefacts at home which are probably only valuable to me and to sell them would be unthinkable.

And once you have checked out they'll go down to the charity shop with all the rest of your clobber where they'll be sold, probably for pennies.

Sell things, buy experience.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
Chris Martyr wrote:Bet Pete wishes he still had his Vespa as well. I sold my Lambretta in 1971 for 25 quid .......... [DOH,,, :clown:]

Actually kept it (from brand new 1961) to 1974 when I sold it to the ward sister of the Surgical ward at New Cross Hospital Wolverhampton as a pressie for her son who had just turned 16.
Nominal sum of £2 to cement change of ownership.

He kept it for another 5 years when it terminally failed its MOT.

And just to confirm my total anality I still have the original bill of sale

Peter
(Interesting to note that as a 16 year old schoolboy I was allowed to buy it on the Never-Never..... :wink: )
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
seanxair liked this
By seanxair
Chris Martyr wrote:Sean , I have never had the pleasure of meeting either you or Peter. But I have a sneaking feeling that I can answer this one.

As much as I love flying , I have no intention of selling my soul to it . You cannot replace items which have been part of your life and soul for so many years . I have similar artefacts at home which are probably only valuable to me and to sell them would be unthinkable.[DOH,,, :clown:]

Quite agree Chris. I'd never part with my ABBA collection! But Beatles would go if I had them ! :cheese: