For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By matthew_w100
I notice that Mrs Queen had her flag at the top of the pole this evening. The rest of Official London still have theirs dipped. Has one or other, shock horror, made a protocol error or are there different rules for the Royal Standard?
By FlarePath
This is a bit of a guess, although the "flag" on Buck House was lowered to 1/2 mast, I believe that was purely the pressure of the mass hysteria that overtook all sane people at the time. I don't think the "flag" on Buck House is technically a flag but a "Standard" and signifies if the Monarch is in residence, so is not actually a flag, but will wait for all the better informed answers.
johnm liked this
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
the mass hysteria that overtook all sane people at the time

I resemble that remark, I have never succumbed to "mass hysteria " in my life (bit late to start now. )
By johnm
I wasn't even slightly hysterical, never liked the woman, but I was very annoyed with the ignorant pillocks who didn't understand flag and standard protocol.
By JoeC
cockney steve wrote: I have never succumbed to "mass hysteria " in my life

Someone must have hacked your account then as before you got your wrists slapped by the mods someone with your name was regularly posting **** like this:

How many are happy with the country being infiltrated wit the undesirable scum, which the former Eastern Bloc countries allowed to come here without alerting our authorities as to their murdering, thieving, scamming, violent criminal past...We have enough home-grown social outcasts, without importing and harbouring theirs

The internet is great.
matthew_w100 liked this
By matthew_w100
I think Chris has it. The Royal Standard is never flown at half mast.

Wasn't the fuss Diana-wise that there was no flag on Buck Palace because the Queen wasn't in? So there was nothing to dip. The solution is now to fly the Union Flag when she is out, which is flown half mast if necessary.

Did the actual Royal Standard get flown half mast for Diana?
By ChrisRowland
AIUI it did, She arrived from Balmoral and it was hoisted to full mast, then lowered to half mast, presumably on Her instructions. This is based on my vague recollections and happening to watch The Queen recently so not totally reliable.
By cockney steve
Someone must have hacked your account then as before you got your wrists slapped by the mods someone with your name was regularly posting **** like this:

Blimey! you must have a very low Hysteria threshold :lol:

That was just a gentle rumination before letting forth. :twisted:
By stevelup
johnm wrote:I wasn't even slightly hysterical, never liked the woman, but I was very annoyed with the ignorant pillocks who didn't understand flag and standard protocol.

You actually got very annoyed about this? Really?
By FlarePath
One that really grind's my gears (Family Guy Peter Griffin) is the footie fans who fly a Union flag at the England games and all those who keep calling the Union Flag the "Union Jack". although there is evidence that both names can be used I like the difference between flying the "Jack" on a British warship and the "Flag" on buildings.
By FlarePath
I think it's still illegal to fly a "Union Jack/flag" on any civvy boat/yacht that's not military/navy. I normally fly two number "8" signal flags (triangular English flag) one on each shroud when sailing as it's the recognised flag of my nautical drinking/ sailing club.
tr7v8 liked this