For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By FlarePath
Nope, white ensign is a navy flag only flown at sea or I think as well about to leave port. The Red Ensign is flown by civilian yachts/boats.

oops, what happened to the post this answers?
By Mz Hedy
Decided to bump this rather than start anew.

Why can't Olympians hold the Union Jack (or 'flag' if you must) the right way up?
By Bill McCarthy
The vast majority of the population would not recognise an “upside down” Union flag.
The olympians may have been indicating that they were in distress however.
PeteSpencer, Rob L liked this
By eltonioni
In congnative distress is probably correct TBF. Anyone who's just placed is unlikely to have a lot of blood rushing around the brain at that moment. We should excuse them a few moment's mental confusion.

And... what a ruddy brilliant Team GB (& Team Yorkshire) again :clap:
By Bill McCarthy
I just wonder what the Americans think of one of their states (Hawaii) having a U.K. union flag incorporated into it.
Mz Hedy liked this
By Trent772
If you watch the opening credits for the US version of House of Cards, the Stars and Stripes is upside down :pirat:
By eltonioni
Bill McCarthy wrote:I just wonder what the Americans think of one of their states (Hawaii) having a U.K. union flag incorporated into it.