For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Pete L wrote:Watching Outside Source last night, poor s*d was drenched reporting from East London - no umbrella, minute after minute of waiting for drivel...

I hope it was Laura Kuenssberg: I've never heard such lefty biased reporting in my entire life:

Presumably the swing to the left was as a result of a complaint (upheld in Jan 2017) against her for biased editing of an interview with Jeremy Corbyn in 2015

Don't believe me? Just watch any national BBC news programme (Next at 1pm.)
During the Scottish IndyRef, it got quite heated.

I had fiercely anti-indy family post counter BBC photos in support of the Nats. That's pretty shocking for me.

These are deeply principled professionals who were "there", one of whom is a reasonably well known film, theatre and TV producer, and without exception they found the BBC reporting to be so biased they posted stuff on FB to counter the bias - and against their political beliefs.

It got to be known as the Biased Broadcasting Corporation....
That's the first time I've seen Kuennsberg described as a lefty - she's quite often accused of being biased in the other direction and the Beeb is claimed to be in the government's pocket.
On a slightly different gripe of the grossly PC riddled Beeb, I am sure if the attack on London had been the same as the Sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway, the reporting would keep on mentioning that it was "Student Buddhist Monks" responsible, I have yet to hear the Elephant in the room word "Muslim" in any mention of the attack by three "terrorists" which of course is the description they thrive on
Here in Belgium it's now accepted that when you don't see the name of a criminal/terrorist - it's because that name has ME roots.

We all applaud the principle, but it's laughable. Someone with dark skin, beard etc gets on the metro with a suitcase which then explodes - survivors heard him shouting "Allan's Snackbar"...but his name is with-held in extremis.

Most of the time it's some little scrote whose knifed tourists for a few bucks, but if he is from a certain ethnic background it's banned from the media. Result is that it bounds around social media....each round making things worse.

Road to hell might not be paved with good intentions, but certainly the foundations are....
By flybymike
My particular gripe of irritation is that if they are interviewing or reporting on Muslim or ethnic matters, they feel it necessary to ensure that they employ a reporter who is him/herself of black/Asian/Muslim origin.

Similarly, if reporting on matters of disability they have to ensure that the reporter is also disabled in some way.

There must be no suggestion of implied discrimination to any group even where no such discrimination could remotely have been intended simply by the expedience of using a reporter of white Anglo Saxon able bodied origin.

To my mind this pathetic pusillanimous behaviour is reverse discrimination against the latter group.
Barcli liked this
Similarly, if reporting on matters of disability they have to ensure that the reporter is also disabled in some way.

Without getting into hot H2o on this I noticed a one armed/handed weather girl presenting some time ago, I did spend most of the time looking at her lack of limb rather than the WX forecast, (BBC)
By PeteSpencer
flybymike wrote:Yes, I think I recall that broadcast, although it seems a fair enough situation even if somewhat distracting.

There's been a one armed rather pretty female presenter named Kerry on C Beebies for donkey's years.

Initially there were comments akin to the foregoing about her disability to the effect that it would frighten young children.

The comments all went away when it transpired that small kids took her disability in their stride and actually didn't give a terpenny ferk.

Peter
OCB liked this
JoeC wrote:Interesting how kids in nurseries don't even notice the colour, accents or physicality of other kids. They just play or don't until parents/adults start pointing out differences and relative values.

True, but I think only up to a point.

By the age of 4 or 5 kids intellect is normally at the point they'd be commenting on physical differences whether or not any adult has pointed it out.

Certainly watching my kids develop, keeping in mind that both my wife and I did degrees in psychology, I watched with some interest how this stuff evolved.

My younger boy was in a creche group of about 20 kids - he and one other boy were the only Caucasian.

Indeed, they all played/fought with zero concern for “race/culture” etc. Male/female differences in temperament were evident much earlier than I expected, and I don’t believe for 1 second that’s via parents or staff (my daughter was playing with shoes and handbags at 9 months – my wife is definitely not “girly” in that respect!)

At pre-school, my youngest boy’s best friend is part West African part Belgian. My son did ask at one point (3 and a half I think) if he’d get dark skin like his friend.

We explained a few things, and that was it.

Don’t forget that kids can be horrible little sheets – they will pick up on differences all by themselves and be quite “mean” without any adult prompting.

Older ones will also pass down “bad examples” and younger kids latch onto these “new” things also.

From what I’ve seen as a parent – it’s almost universally schools and parents conditioning OUT kids natural tendency to pick on differences, not parents feeding innocent little minds their bias.

Of course it does happen though, I grew up a Catholic in the West of Scotland in the 70s....