For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Some ex-forumites over on Facebook have commented that the forum has become a place for people to have a general moan about things these days.

I just saw an agenda for a meeting I have coming up in work, and I noted this item:

8. General Moan

:D
seanjd liked this
By Rob P
Interesting concept, moaning about moaning. If they find it unacceptable, why are they participating?

Seems a bit.. er... odd.

Rob P
By nallen
Paul_Sengupta wrote:General Moan

Isn't he the dictator of a Pacific island state?
Spooky liked this
By Colonel Panic
Rob P wrote:Interesting concept, moaning about moaning. If they find it unacceptable, why are they participating?

Seems a bit.. er... odd.

Paul_Sengupta wrote:Some ex-forumites over on Facebook have commented that the forum has become a place for people to have a general moan about things these days.

They aren't - they are "ex-" :roll:
By Rob P
I did actually follow that.

But what they are doing on Facebook is still moaning surely? Is it somehow better done there?

Rob P
By Sir Morley Steven
There is certailny a lot of general moaning (or is it wilful ignorance?) about my ironic headline post.
We still do more good than harm though.
By JoeC
And now Steve moaning about others moaning. I guess I'm now moaning that Steve is moaning about others moaning.

Moan. What an odd word.

mid-13c., "mourn (someone); regret, bewail;" c. 1300, "to lament, grieve; utter moans;" probably from Old English *manan, related to mænan "to lament" (see moan (n.)). From 1724 as "to make a low, mournful sound." Related: Moaned; moaning. c. 2017 used to describe middle-aged pilots with nothing better to do
OCB, Sir Morley Steven liked this
By OCB
In guid Scots, moan is also an abbreviation of "come on".
Very often heard during stair-heid rammies as in "moan then ya bass", translates to "come on and have a go you child married out of wedlock "
By GAFlyer4Fun
Paul_Sengupta wrote:8. General Moan

.... about the quality of cake!

Probably better than
8. General Panic

You need to invite Colonel Panic to put it all into perspective?
If you need to invite a General you know you have very big problems.... worse than major problems lol
:wink:

p.s. that was not a moan.
Colonel Panic liked this
By johnm
I don't moan, moaning is pathetic, I grouse and grumble :D
By OCB
for those old enough to know *nix system, Colonel Panic got your attention much faster than General Moan :roll:
By PaulB
The dilemma I’m 31, and my friends are all having life crises. I’ve found myself with a set of eight emotionally needy people. (They don’t know each other.) It sounds selfish, but I’m exhausted from taking out their emotional trash......

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... r-mariella