For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sadly Manchester has become another city to suffer a concert bombing. Police have confirmed they suspect it to be a terrorist attack and have confirmed that 19 people have been killed and at least 50 injured.

The bomb was detonated as people were leaving a concert at Manchester Arena and is reported to have gone off in the foyer which was packed as thousands of people were leaving the venue. As with any large venue the way people are packed together when leaving means there is no chance to move quickly. I live only 10 miles away and visited this arena just a few months ago myself, somehow being able to picture it brings it home even more.

Thoughts go to all affected by this.
By OCB
I found out as my 8 yr old had the radio on in his bedroom.

Sickening, depressing and so futile.

I'm taking my son to a concert next week in Paris. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about such things (I'm taking the Thalys as well, another target).

I'm sure the usual media merry go round will start soon about the moron who did this. I'll be avoiding the media for the next couple of days I think.
By Rob P
Not long after the Westminster event I had to pick Sandra up from Heathrow Terminal 4.

I arrived quite early in the morning and made my way to the arrivals gate.

As I stood there for half an hour or so, I found myself scanning the area, choosing a place to stand that had good views over the entrances, looking for stray bags, planning which route would be the safest to leave by if something kicked off. I thought I was being paranoid and told myself to chill.

Perhaps not so paranoid?

Rob P
By tomtytom
I find going through London Euston, Manchester Train stations really uncomfortable. I know that 99.99% of people are good and honest all going about their daily life. Crowded areas I always have the thought in the back of my head where my nearest exit is and how I would get out of somewhere in an emergency. Paranoid or not it’s something I’ve always thought. I would like to think in a situation like that I would be able to assist and help with what basic first aid training iv had until the professionals arrive. Until it happens no one really knows how you would deal with such a horrific situation.

I have received guidance on potential discussions that may be brought up at my scouts this week as being in the North West some of them may have been there or had friends who attended. Either way they could read it as a direct attack on “youth’s freedoms”.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/13865002 - Advice for young people upset by the news

On another note I got quite emotional this morning driving to work and hearing on the radio all the acts of kindness shown by strangers and hearing stories of how the local community came together to help those stranded and in distress. Coffee/Sandwhich shops opening up and providing free meals for the brave services running towards danger as everyone evacuated, taxis arranging free transport for those in need and people offering shelter to complete strangers. Just shows that when we need the UK does pull out all the stops to help those in need.
By Flyin'Dutch'
tomtytom wrote:On another note I got quite emotional this morning driving to work and hearing on the radio all the acts of kindness shown by strangers and hearing stories of how the local community came together to help those stranded and in distress. Coffee/Sandwhich shops opening up and providing free meals for the brave services running towards danger as everyone evacuated, taxis arranging free transport for those in need and people offering shelter to complete strangers. Just shows that when we need the UK does pull out all the stops to help those in need.

+1

Those who know me, know that I am made of sterner stuff and am in fact as hard as nails, but indeed the kindness of people to pull together and help each other out in their hour of need is fantastic and touching.
tomtytom, Pete L, AFSAG liked this
By Rob P
Am I the only one who sees the irony in all these famous (and not so famous) people stating that the loved ones, friends and relatives are 'in their prayers'?

It's religion that causes this sort of cr*p.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', Dave W, AFSAG and 5 others liked this
By Mike Tango
I wonder how many people that say 'pray for' actually do pray for and, if they do, what difference they think it's going to make apart from them feeling better about themselves and thinking how right on they are by following the sheep in publicly posting it.

But better stop there as religion is out of bounds.
AFSAG, AndyR liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
Rob P wrote:Am I the only one who sees the irony in all these famous (and not so famous) people stating that the loved ones, friends and relatives are 'in their prayers'?

Rob P

Amen!
Rob P wrote:

Rob P

I'm going to stand up for Keef's memory here and say I disagree. I'm a long lapsed Catholic so have seen first hand some of the negative effects of diehard zealots, but mostly the problem is abuse of religion by small minded people rather than the various religions themselves per se.

That said, it really is imperative that some of these religions start putting their own houses in order, and, sadly, there is little real evidence that this is happening in any meaningful way.
riverrock, Samsonite liked this
By Bill Haddow
I too am sickened by this despicable act. As often, however, it has thrown a sidelight on a separate matter.

Nil nisi etc, but am I alone in thinking that by 22:35 on a term-time Monday night an 8 year old should have been safely tucked up in her bed? Or wonder that a 14 and a 15 year old from Barra, apparently with family approval, should miss at least 2 days school for the dubious educational benefit of attending a pop concert?

Bill H
By Cessna57
Horrible to read of the fake tweets about missing people.
People claiming their relatives are missing when they're not.
Crowdfunding pages have now all been started.

It's a despicable act, and so is pretending your brother is missing.

People have actually lost loved ones.

lost for words.
Rob P, AndyR liked this
By riverrock
Rob P wrote:Am I the only one who sees the irony in all these famous (and not so famous) people stating that the loved ones, friends and relatives are 'in their prayers'?

Rob P

No. It's twisting people's belief for a political cause that is the issue.
Religion wasn't the issue in Northern Ireland but politics.
Religion wasn't the issue in the world wars but politics.

You need the ability to respect people's beliefs, even if you don't agree with them.

Same with the comment on praying. You wouldn't do it if you thought it pointless. Don't be so cynical, second guessing other's reactions. It shouldn't be your reaction to others heart felt responses.