For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
Right, so we are all on same page.
The crate I saw when we picked up our dog was a four sided crate - solid wood and high enough that the mutt couldn't get out.

That doesn't sound like wot AerBabe is talking about - that sounds more like an internal kennel. Whilst that sounds like not too bad an idea, I don't see the advantage over her bed...
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Could have done with a crate for our Golden before she went to the big kennel in the sky: Would have stopped her hosing liquid sh ite all over the kitchen and utility room floor every night...

Peter
By cotterpot
Tend to agree about using a crate.
We got one for our rescued mutt of dubious provenance and whilst now after 7 years it doesn't get used in the house - he has more 'beds' around than we have - it lives in the garage or the car.

If the dog is 'missing' he will be in his crate in the garage. When it gets put in the car he knows he is going with us - although to be honest, any open car boot is seen as fair game.

We also take it when we stay somewhere else so he has his own space.
Nick liked this
By cockney steve
These "crates" are lightweight oblong, wire-barred cages . Panels clip together in minutes and there is a full-size tin-tray floor..a door in one side and another in one end, adds to the versatility.

When I inherited the dogs, they moved to my house, with which they were already familiar. This did not stop them using the whole house as a latrine. They have their own cages, automatically go to them and the house stays clean.provided I confine them to the lounge. They will also revert if stopping in a strange place for a few days, even if I sleep in the same room.....the cages, with newspapers on the floors, solve the problem completely. Dogs see it as their "den" I could not consider free-roaming ones in the house.
By OCB

Voila, Phoebe - nearly 9 week old French Bulldog...who just pee'd on the sofa for about the 20th time in a week.... :roll:

First photo she is attacking a bamboo shoot that's crept up, 2nd she's chewing on some sort of ball of dried garden something. Chewing the contents of the garden and peeing on the sofa/carpet are her favourite activities for the moment...
kanga, eltonioni, Paultheparaglider and 2 others liked this
By OCB
...and one of tickle time!

For the moment she is nipping a lot - any advice on getting her to stop that?
By OCB
Paultheparaglider wrote:Arrete ca, mechant chien.

She might not speak English. :wink:

LOL, yes English is an endangered species around here - the wife and 3 kids are native Francophones...but I believe "aie!" is pretty universal.
By AerBabe
OCB wrote:For the moment she is nipping a lot - any advice on getting her to stop that?

Pull her teeth out...

OR

Squeal as soon as she does it and move away. Give her a toy to bite instead.
You can also gently hold her bottom jaw - thumb over the bottom teeth, rest of hand gently cupping her jaw. Believe me, she will HATE this. If you do it every time she nips you, she'll soon stop.
Obviously don't encourage her to bite. Play fighting is all good fun while they're little, but you're storing up trouble for later.
By OCB
AerBabe wrote:
OCB wrote:For the moment she is nipping a lot - any advice on getting her to stop that?

Pull her teeth out...

OR

Squeal as soon as she does it and move away. Give her a toy to bite instead.
You can also gently hold her bottom jaw - thumb over the bottom teeth, rest of hand gently cupping her jaw. Believe me, she will HATE this. If you do it every time she nips you, she'll soon stop.
Obviously don't encourage her to bite. Play fighting is all good fun while they're little, but you're storing up trouble for later.

Funny you mention that, it's how we figured out how to stop our pup 40 years from nipping. He constantly turned his head to nip, one day after keeping control of his jaw he just gave up.
Beginners luck!
By OCB
Ok, her favourite pass time today is eating poo from "something" that's been in the garden. Not sure if it's a large cat, dog or fox,..but she can't keep away from it! Berk...