For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By chevvron
Sony Cyber Shot. model DSC-W800. Very compact but no viewfinder.
5x optical zoom, 8x digital zoom; 20.1 mega pixels
Still, burst or movie (as most are nowadays)
Or for about the same price (both in Currys)
Sony Handycam HDR-680E can shoot single shots as well as video with 50x zoom. and 8.9 mega pixels.
By PaulB
The much mentioned TZ60 has a GPS facility, whereas its successors (the TZ70, and now TZ80) do not.

Is this a great loss?

I realise that other cameras have been mentioned in this thread but, in Flyer Forum terms, the view is almost unanimous that Lumix is the way to go. If this was a thread about kneeboards, or the need for paper charts or (heaven forbid) tablets with or without navigation software, we'd have had 10 pages of debate, and much disagreement, within the first day!
By Waveflyer
Another vote for the DMC TZ60 with GPS.

This shows the zoom peformance at the Asiago flyin last year organised by African Eagle. Measured on Google Earth it is 1500 metres.

By Grumpy One
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Waveflyer wrote:Another vote for the DMC TZ60 with GPS.

This shows the zoom peformance at the Asiago flyin last year organised by African Eagle. Measured on Google Earth it is 1500 metres.

Hmm? You should have told me you were taking a snap - I'd have given you a wave :clown:
By Rob P
I rarely use the GPS facility, leaving it switched off to save battery.

I've yet to exhaust the battery in a day, even with some intensive press jaunts through France and Belgium

Rob P
By PaulB
If you're going to record video, do they need super-duper SD cards (and what constitutes super-duper?)
By Rob P
I don't do a lot of video, but I use a fast SD card anyway for shooting burst mode, excellent for capturing the right expression and for group shots.

Rob P
By Peter Pan
Peter Pan wrote:IPhone 6s?
I have dumped my compact camera now. It is either the iPhone (actually amazing what you can do on it!) or my pro Canon DLSR when I can chose between lenses, I.e. Wide angle or Zoom.
By Neil MacG
Another vote for the Lumix TZ range. I have the TZ3, TZ7 and TZ60. All great cameras to use when flying. I'm an avid photographer and if you have been used to a DSLR the TZ60 (and later models) all have the ability to record RAW photo files. With these you can tease much more detail from the recorded images using something like Adobe Lightroom. The latest incarnation - the TZ90 also has a flip up screen which makes taking photos from low level much easier and can be used for selfies if flipped up 180 degrees.

Sometimes the TZ50, 60 etc can produce excellent images when processed from RAW, but in enabling this enthusiast feature some of the out of camera images can be a bit dull compared to earlier incarnations of the TZ range. I think one of the other benefits of the TZ90 is that the tweaking of out of camera (JPG) images is now more customisable.

Here's a few pics I've processed from RAW:

ImageP1040874 by Neil, on Flickr

ImageP1040001 by Neil, on Flickr

ImageP1030057 by Neil, on Flickr