For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Morley, you either need to get a step ladder or new glasses so you can read further back up the thread properly. :D
By matthew_w100
stevelup wrote:I think your best course of action would be a full factory reset. You'll need a PC or Mac with a recent version of iTunes to do this.

Plug in the iPad,
iTunes will present you with an option to restore your backup. Choose the one you did earlier.

Well that gave me palpitations! It sat there for about 25 minutes saying "Waiting for iPad" while nothing appeared to happen. I wes just thinking it was bricked and wondering if I should power off and how bad this was likely to be when it sprang into life again. I don't understand how anything computerish can take 25mins to do anything - that is a LOT of cpu cycles.
By matthew_w100
And now I've had to have three manual goes at re-synching it; the restore process failed to reload the apps and the music. Resynching seems to be working.

So not a seamless process, which may indicate it was necessary!

What on earth do you do that you are resetting 20 iPads a day?
By stevelup
We provide IT support to a number of national retailers and maintain approx 1500 iPads.

My team of three can do up to 50 in a day when pushed really hard!

We use one of these...

... hooked up to a Mac Mini running the Apple Configurator tool - it can do 15 at once. But the underlying principle is the same as I provided above.

This is the incoming pile of devices needing attention...

Yes... I'm sick to death of seeing iPads :lol:
By skydriller
stevelup wrote:We provide IT support to a number of national retailers and maintain approx 1500 iPads.

My team of three can do up to 50 in a day when pushed really hard!

:shock: So 1 in 30 Ipads needs resetting every day....So you WILL be resetting your Ipad about once a month??

Jesus, these fruit things really are unreliable!! The GFs Nexus 2 has run Android flawlessly since bought new many years ago, never reset it... :wink:
By morticiaskeeper
Last week, one of the forums I frequent stopped working on Tapatalk HD, requiring a change to Tapatalk PRO.

So I upgraded my iPad 2, including the 34 app updates required. Some apps wouldn't load after the updates, so I just shutdown the iPad, something I only do if there is a problem.

The iPad is now running faster than ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
By stevelup
skydriller wrote: :shock: So 1 in 30 Ipads needs resetting every day....So you WILL be resetting your Ipad about once a month??

Ah, not quite. These are never reset because there's something wrong...

1) User error: forgotten passcode and disabled the device. This is despite having multiple warnings, and an ever increasing time between lockouts. Before the actual device is bricked, one call to the helpdesk and we can clear their password. This one is depressingly common.
2) User error: member of staff leaves a store and doesn't unlock their device before leaving, then lets the battery run down so we can't even remotely unlock it
3) User error: member of staff doesn't put device in the supplied case, then drops it on the floor so we have to send a replacement.
4) User error: member of staff leaves device lying around in the shop and joe public pinches it so we have to send another one.

You see the pattern...
karlbown liked this
By stickandrudderman
I use an old ipad mini for backup nav (easyVFR) and it had started to crash and be slow.
The guys at Easy VFR suggest that the old minis are not up to the job but Steve's post gave me hope.
Sadly, after executing the restore as described it has not improved things so it looks like I will have to upgrade my mini. Anyone got one for sale?
By PaulB
My iPad mini runs SD fine....
By Ian Melville
stickandrudderman wrote:I use an old ipad mini for backup nav (easyVFR) and it had started to crash and be slow.
The guys at Easy VFR suggest that the old minis are not up to the job but Steve's post gave me hope.
Sadly, after executing the restore as described it has not improved things so it looks like I will have to upgrade my mini. Anyone got one for sale?

My original iPad mini is much the same, goes like it's running in treacle for most apps. I was going to do a wipe, but it looks like I won't be in luck with this one. Worth a go anyway.