For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
OCB wrote:I was very luck to see DP do Smoke on the Water at Montreux festival about 10 years ago. Funky Claude even came on stage!

Brilliant...Along with G&R's Welcome to the Jungle , SOTW has to be one of the great rock intro's. A true rock n roll moment ! Mind you , if I had gone down to Montreux , by the Lake Geneva shore and Funky Claude was running in and out , then I would be cr@pping myself that the idiot with the Verey pistol was going to try and re-enact his bit as well.... :shock:
Had a bit of a RnR moment myself a few years back , driving out of LA on the 91 Freeway [to Aircraft Spruce] when KLOS 95.5 started playing The Doors , LA Woman.....All of a sudden , I had a full head of hair and my tie/dye granddad vest on again . Mind you , these days , I have attained the full rank and seniority and all my clothes are 'granddad clothes'.... :D

Can't quite agree about the talented girl in the vid. not appearing happy though. Don't most professional musicians contort their faces a bit when playing ? To me it's a sign that they know what they're doing. ........ [i.e. not miming]... :thumright:
Having seen AC-DC three times , I can vouch for Angus' amazing facial contortions . It's rock n roll man... :thumleft:

Footnote :
Amazing really,,,as something of an FF novice , I find the posts on "Non-Av" pleasant , funny and interesting. Why is it that when one adds "that other ingredient" , the tone seems to change into something slightly more confrontational............ :D
FF has incredible sticking power.
I put it down to the Mods (dammit, there's a Rockers joke in there somewhere)

There are are other forae, but the level of debate here is second to none.

I've never felt uncomfortable debating a point. The wealth of experience and valid opinions is quite simply unique on t'interweb
Only an hour "lost" youtubing old classics - you need to try harder!

Today, during a conf call I probably should have paying attention to,I managed to get through a few - and these 2 stood out:

Friday on My Mind. The audience look mostly bored - like a busload of McKinsey recruits forced to take part of some weird "training video".

The girl sandwiched between 2 guys (just around 2 mins in) ...yeah....

Eloise video just speaks for itself - :thumleft:
OCB wrote:I put it down to the Mods (dammit, there's a Rockers joke in there somewhere)

I'll try.

The Mods are enjoying a late lock-in at their favourite pub.

A Rocker appears at the door and tries to enter. The Mods look alarmed.

The barman, seeing the Mods discomfiture, says: 'Oh it's him. Don't worry. He just can't seem to come in on time. And he'll never find the key'.

Made myself groan with that one. Sorry. I'll try harder.
Paul_Sengupta, OCB liked this
Bert Presley wrote:
OCB wrote:I put it down to the Mods (dammit, there's a Rockers joke in there somewhere)

I'll try.

The Mods are enjoying a late lock-in at their favourite pub.

A Rocker appears at the door and tries to enter. The Mods look alarmed.

The barman, seeing the Mods discomfiture, says: 'Oh it's him. Don't worry. He just can't seem to come in on time. And he'll never find the key'.

Made myself groan with that one. Sorry. I'll try harder.

LOL

I once went to a concert with Lee Thompson (sax player from Madness).
I say "with" as there was just him, a guitarist mate of his, me and 2 mates of mine + the solitary barman.

Can't recall the name of the bar - it was on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow, tiny wee basement place. Just happened to wander in, and Lee Thompson was waiting for someone to turn up so he could start his set.

He was rather "off tune" to be forgiving. More than once he stopped half way through a famous tune, said "ah, I fluffed it up" and started the tune again. OK, he didn't say fluffed....
GH - I know this is a bit filly-sophycal.

I think we live in a gifted age.

Right now I am listening/watching the most exquisite rendition of Paganini - Liszt La Campanella. That's after a bit of Bach and Beethoven. I'll probably do a bit of Pergolesi to round things off.

All for free. On Youtube.

I also have Spotify - gift from my wife...who has DefTones going. Vevo is also incredible.

It wasn't that long ago that the only way we could listen to music was go to the record shop and buy the vinyl or cassette. Or, the local library and hope they had what you wanted.

There were those extremely rare chances to go to a concert.

Of course, there was the option of "roll your own" - which was my family tradition. That was - and remains - the most primal and satisfying way to enjoy some beats IMHO. Alas, an extremely limited activity these days. Even then, it was perfect for belting out some popular ditties and having the laugh of a lifetime- but not getting lost into the deeper realms of the great composers (yin-yang thing for me).

Talking of which, just booking for my 8 yr old son + me to go see the Piano Guys...if you've not checked them out.....youtube them! They're playing 2 concerts in London.
GolfHotel liked this
My almost 4 yr old daughter got her 1/4 sized electric guitar at the weekend :)

She just strums (ok batters) the open strings, but she loves it. It even came with a cute little 5w amp with overdrive (playing on the frets without strumming or picking with left hand). Vinyl carry bag as well, all for 85 euro delivery included.

I'm now immersing myself in online (ok YouTube) self teaching electric guitar tutorials-I won't start her in lessons for another year probably, but the boys want to learn some songs.

Anyone on here seriously into guitars? I've gotten myself an FCB1010 midi pedal board and can't decide whether linking it up to Mac or iPhone/iPad is the wiser option. Have Yamaha Bluetooth midi bridge for it. Planning to use iRig2 (or possibly wireless kit - not decided) + Amplitube as the v-amp software.

Edited with photo:

My darling 3 yr old daughter.
Favourite TV programme: Peppa Pig (over and over and over)
Favourite colour: Pink!
Likes: drawing rainbows, playing with dolls, Death Metal impressions :shock:

Note, with her soft IKEA pretend guitar - she jumps about strumming like mad for a few seconds, then does overhead axe impressions, bouncing the pretend guitar into the floor, sofa etc. It's no joke - we never watch "those" kind of music videos...ever....
Last edited by OCB on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul_Sengupta liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Spooky wrote:Wow she's good :shock:

Looking for that video, I came across this one. Now aged 13, this was her last year at the age of 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXbt4uc_PZg

As since we had the Pachelbel Canon mentioned in another thread.... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_IlvErYNJE

The Mini Band played at our local a couple of weeks ago. One of them is the son of a bloke I worked with at O2 in the GPRS days, and who now works for Ericsson (contractor)
Korenwolf wrote:This is my all-time favourite Purple vid on YouTube; if you look closely you'll even see Ritchie Blackmore smile......

My favourite Deep Purple video is the first part of the concerto for group and orchestra.

The first few minutes look like a typical concert at the Albert Hall, and then those three crashing chords come in D C Am.

Here you go......