For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By kanga
Bill Haddow wrote:The election being discussed on Wednesday in The Archers...

The Archers producers/scriptwriters have always been pretty slick about introducing 'topical inserts' at short notice. It usually involves a scene of only 2 voices, and not very long. After a major tragedy the scene is commonly between two of the regular churchgoers in the church or the churchyard, where both, serendipitously, had supposedly gone for 'quiet contemplation' and 'happened to meet'. I'm guessing that quite a few of the regular actors are within easy call-in range of the recording studio. It is obviously easier to (re-)arrange such recording and editing/splicing than TV (re-)filming would be.

[yes, I am a regular listener, whereas I follow none of the TV 'soaps' .. :oops: ]
Flyin'Dutch', Rob P liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:It is obviously easier to (re-)arrange such recording and editing/splicing than TV (re-)filming would be.

I always liked Drop The Dead Donkey for up to the minute topical news humour. Mostly it was something trending that week, but in the closing credits there would be a voice over chat related to that day's news.
OCB, GolfHotel, eltonioni liked this
By GolfHotel
So as I see it

1) the woman who we can trust to keep her promises, has changed her mind and done something she promised not to do.
2) she is asking for a mandate she claimed to already have
3) the mandate is to do something she said was a bad idea

Don't you just love these principled politics
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By eltonioni
Dogma is a mug's game though. The trouble with sticking to principles / promises is that they have to be right all the time. I'm content if a politician does the right thing at the right time.

TM was a bit useless at the Home Office but seems to have found some backbone at the right time. Internal Tory party issues aside the real danger for the UK is that the EU27 will be looking at 2019 Brexit as being uncomfortably close to the 2020 general election and it seems to be giving them an unusual collective bravado. This snap election pushes the next GE back to 2022 and somewhat removes that main political opportunity for them to play hardball on hard Brexit and hands it back to the UK.
AFSAG liked this
By OCB
Us humans have been pondering the merits of political honesty as far back as records go.

In the past 2000+years, there's probably very few (I'd hazard no) elected individuals who were 100% "principled" and delivered everything they promised.

If you set the expectation that politicians should merely be competent administrators rather than Glorious Leaders, then you'll be much happier.

I most certainly would never want to be a politician.
kanga, eltonioni liked this
By kanga
Grelly wrote:The problem with politicians is that those that should be doing the job, don't want to. And those that want to, shouldn't be allowed to.

Local journalist has more respect for MPs than some of his trade, or at least that they will admit

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/an ... story.html
By PaulB
The Tories have more than doubled their lead over Labour to 19 points since Theresa May called a snap general election last Tuesday, according to a new poll that suggests the Conservatives are heading for a landslide victory on 8 June.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -of-labour
By Miscellaneous
That's interesting, Paul. I clearly recall it being stated the Tories were 20 points ahead at the time of the election being announced.

On another note…am I just cynical, or is this aimed at a certain demographic? Rather pathetic if it is! :roll:
By townleyc
If May does get an increased majority, that will no doubt help the negotiations, but they always say good government needs strong opposition. Where the heck is that going to come from?

KE
By PaulB
Miscellaneous wrote:That's interesting, Paul. I clearly recall it being stated the Tories were 20 points ahead at the time of the election being announced.

Different day, different poll..... :-)
Miscellaneous liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
townleyc wrote:If May does get an increased majority, that will no doubt help the negotiations, but they always say good government needs strong opposition. Where the heck is that going to come from?

KE

Scotland!

G
By Cessna57
Isn't this more about time in office?

An election now with no opposition extends her term by 2 years.

Labour may get rid of Corbyn and have a viable alternative by when the next election would have been.

Easy way of extending this term, that's all it is.
By avtur3
kanga wrote:
Bill Haddow wrote:The election being discussed on Wednesday in The Archers...

The Archers producers/scriptwriters have always been pretty slick about introducing 'topical inserts' at short notice. It usually involves a scene of only 2 voices, and not very long. After a major tragedy the scene is commonly between two of the regular churchgoers in the church or the churchyard, where both, serendipitously, had supposedly gone for 'quiet contemplation' and 'happened to meet'. I'm guessing that quite a few of the regular actors are within easy call-in range of the recording studio. It is obviously easier to (re-)arrange such recording and editing/splicing than TV (re-)filming would be.

[yes, I am a regular listener, whereas I follow none of the TV 'soaps' .. :oops: ]

The TV soaps do exactly the same, producing brief topical inserts with up to date material. Eastenders got caught out doing this recently because one of the actors had changed her hair style which the continuity bods did not spot