For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote:. Their droppings are a small price to pay for their presence.

Sadly, can't agree: The short time I spend at the strip pre - and post- flight, when I would witness these rather pretty visitors in flight does not make up for the hassle of taking off, shaking out and replacing after flight the number of dust sheets we have to drape the aeroplane with.

I'm hoping that last autumn's sweep of the remaining hangar crevices with chicken mesh will have deprived them of any remaining nesting places:

There are numerous barns at the farm less than 200yds away, let then go over there and cr ap on all the John Deere/ Claas stuff.

Peter
Surely the hangar is not that small that the aircraft can't be shifted a couple of feet out of the way. Swallows won't build a nest where they can't attach the mud material, so paint on some used oil or something on all potential spots in the hangar or above your aircraft.
By PeteSpencer
Nope the hangar is tiny and the a/c shares the space with our vintage Fergie, triple gang mower and electric golf buggy. So no room for re positioning.

Not sure which would be worse dripping on the aeroplane, swallow cr ap or used oil.

I'm pinning my hopes on the chicken wire : as it happens a/c won't be in hangar for the next three weeks as it's annual time.

However the cr ap fest gets worse when the little blighters fledge later in the year.
By Cowshed
Thought I'd rekindle this thread for another year...

Here in Worcestershire I've not noticed any swifts etc yet. Usually they are a great portent of summer and I notice them as I'm out and about. Not seen a single one yet. I'm guessing the cool weather has delayed their arrival (the last week or so has been pretty good weather but with a definite nip on the air at night).

Have others seen any of these natural aviators yet or are they just giving this corner a miss this year?
By Rob P
They appeared here about a week back.

Rob P