For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In my day (rattles zimmer frame) when we did GCE O and A and S level (not the same as AS ) with the Oxford and Cambridge Examination Board (now sadly swallowed up), in 1960-63, as well as the 'General Paper'- Essays from a massive list of topics) we had to sit the 'Use of English ' Paper. I bet a bob there's no such thing anymore .

A pass in both was required for Oxbridge entry, as well as passes at GCE O level in Latin and French.

Hated the Latin at the time but was grateful for it throughout my professional life.

Peter
kanga liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
I feel I have to repost this rant against me from facebook. There is too much going on to list it all.

"steve sorry mate your wrong , we aint saw off nybody ira still exist nazis still exist [ in other forms] look back at all of terrorist groups ,they are still out there but world moves on and bigger groups like isis take centre stage..kill the leders others take there place ."
To which I replied, "can somebody translate this for me?"
To which he replied
"Of course, your talking rubbish,"
Yes, there was a comma at the end.
By OCB
Unless I missed it, how can this post have gotten this far without this joke?

I had a date with a girl last night.
She texted me this morning "hi, your fantastic!"

I replied "no, you're fantastic"

Now she thinks we are an item whilst I was politely correcting her spelling mistake....
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By stevelup
There's a Barber's shop on the high street near my office.

Now, I'm conflicted about this because it could technically be correct. I mean, the guy could be called Bill Barber perhaps. And assuming he's the owner, it is a shop belonging to a Barber...

I still think it looks extremely cruddy though...