For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PaulB
Apostrophe abuse seems to be be everywhere you look. In the thread over on GA about lunch stops for crew training, this was said:-

Joe Dell wrote:
Charliesixtysix wrote:DC6 Diner at Coventry.

https://www.dc6diner.com

Their menu lists tomato's and potato's. Clearly amateurs. :(

It just got me wondering why printers, publishers, web designer companies[1] etc. don't correct this sort of thing? There's a premises on a local industrial estate where the signage states that they sell bathroom's, kitchen's - there is even more apostrophe abuse that I can't bring myself to type - why does it happen so often in business?

[1] no idea if the DC6 diner website is home built or paid for.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Joe Dell wrote:
Charliesixtysix wrote:
DC6 Diner at Coventry.

https://www.dc6diner.com

Their menu lists tomato's and potato's. Clearly amateurs. :(

I suppose the apostrophe could replace the "e" in potatoes and tomatoes, but then why would you.

Not sure about tortilla's though.
By Rob P
A friend recently had some issues with her central heating and posted on Facebook

"The boilers f****d"

It did conjure up an image of some strange mating seldom witnessed

Rob
Spooky liked this
By nallen
PaulB wrote:It just got me wondering why printers, publishers, web designer companies etc. don't correct this sort of thing?

I get paid by publishers to sort out this sort of thing, and much more. I'll edit for whoever pays me, but many website designers, etc., just can't be bothered/don't budget for this/know no better.
Rob P, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Morten
Paultheparaglider wrote:
PaulB wrote:Apostrophe abuse seems to be be everywhere you look.

Who care's? :wink:

I will not shop/eat at places which show on their signage that they don't care about simple matters like spelling. Which other things do they not care about?

When I receive emails or letters etc. from people who either are incapable of or do not care about spelling and grammar, I form a (maybe erroneous) preconceived idea of their abilities or carelessness in other areas as well.

From discussions within my circle, my attitude is the rule rather than the exception.

Or maybe one for the OCD thread...

Morten
ChampChump liked this
By lobstaboy
I used to have a rule that any flagrant spelling or grammar mistake in a job application meant an immediate diversion of it into the reject pile. It cut down the work load most effectively.
kanga liked this
By Rob P
Flying_john wrote:It's nice t'at we h've someone who is prepared to run with the baton that SteveR once used to carry.

Seeing the three, or was it four, appearances of the Lee-on-Solent shack on the same page of the KFC thread I rather wish somebody would pick up Aerbabe's campaign for sensible quoting.

Rob P
AerBabe liked this
By Charliesixtysix
Morten wrote:
I will not shop/eat at places which show on their signage that they don't care about simple matters like spelling. Which other things do they not care about?

When I receive emails or letters etc. from people who either are incapable of or do not care about spelling and grammar, I form a (maybe erroneous) preconceived idea of their abilities or carelessness in other areas as well.

From discussions within my circle, my attitude is the rule rather than the exception.

Or maybe one for the OCD thread...

Morten

On the other hand:
We are currently having a farm store erected by a gentleman (word used advisedly) who is second to none in his construction and man-managment skills, but is practically incapable of writing a sentence.

This guy started out as a general farm worker who lived in tied cottage and thought he could do better for himself and his family.

He has no formal training, didn't pass a single O level and cannot write his own quotations (his wife does that for him) but 20 years on he runs his own company, with order books full for the next 12 months. He lives in (i.e. owns, without mortgage) a home valued well into 7 figures and his team are the fastest, safest, tidiest and happiest workers it has been my pleasure to work with.
His mental arithmetic is stunning, but he could not write down the words of the Pythagorean Theorem he uses every day for toffee.

Would I have been better served to discount him for his lack of written English skills, I think not.
Would I employ him for a job involving holding a pen, not a chance. :thumleft:
cockney steve, kanga, Spooky and 6 others liked this
By cockney steve
In my Garage days, had a customer with a very good pet-supplies business, They knew their stuff. Called at the shop once, proudly posted in the window:-

"We now stock perfessinal top dog* feeds "

*Can't remember the exact wording, but the tortured spelling is burnt into my memory.

(yes, they also scattered apostrophes like confetti )

Some people just struggle......my sons would both write the same word,on the same page, several times ,in a piece of schoolwork-each iteration was different and no amount of exhortation would make them at least copy the first, so the rendition was consistent.

The discipline of the computer seemed to straighten them out, as it won't accept a mis -placed space or full stop, let alone greater crimes against spelling and punctuation.
By Mike Tango
Perhaps pause and wonder if the 'offending' author might possibly be dyslexic, or have a learning issue. Then consider whether making grammar police comments about them may help or hinder them going forward. It can be painful watching an early teen being put down in such circumstances through no fault of their own.

Also, language is constantly evolving anyway, there are far more important issues to be retentive about.
cockney steve liked this
By cockney steve
Sorry, Boxkite, I was referring specifically to programming, which nowadays gives a good living to both. chewing the cud on an Internet Forum , they tend to revert to form . Took a 3 year battle with the LEA before they admitted the eldest was dyslexic, but still didn't give any help. We bought the recommended Tandy/radio -shack laptop which lasted less than a month. The other made his own way, despite the "system"
Boxkite liked this