For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Cowshed
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My MIL recently made a booking through bookings.com which was to pay the supplier direct. However when the email came from the supplier it required providing a host of info to DocuSign (who seem to be based in the US) including a copy of a bill and photographic Id. Besides sharing yet more data with a firm you know nothing about, it seems a lot of hassle for a few nights in a UK appartment. The problem is the booking is non-refundable, but at the time of making it she wasn’t aware of the DocuSign malarkey.

Until I googled them I had never heard of them. Probably me living in my bubble…

Just wondered if anyone on here had knowledge of them?
Yes - the publisher of one of my books uses Docusign for signing contracts. It's pretty clear and easy to use, and saves time and postage.

Ultimately it's just an electronic equivalent of signing a contract and initialling the individual pages.

G
By Cowshed
Chris and GtE – thanks for the feedback. Good to know it is credible organisation. Still seems a bit of hassle for a few nights’ accommodation when provision of your credit card details is usually sufficient for most people.
I have used DocuSign in the context of contracts with a managed service provider for an end client. I don't like it and it was sprung on me at a contract renewal.

It seems to be a bit odd to sign things with a signature that looks nothing like your own real signature - it gives several signatures to choose from and I think it is supposed to remember the one picked but it never did for me so I could change it for each document.

A friend that works in corporate contracts says signing with DocuSign is legally binding in the UK.

I thought it was a bit annoying to have to do it that way as it was convenient to show the managed service provider the real thing in person, but the policy was use DocuSign to receive/return signed contract or no contract. :roll:

One of my concerns is if you were not expecting a document to sign, and the sender of the DocuSign document got your email address slightly wrong (or you mis-typed it into some form somewhere, or their database got corrupted or hacked) and by chance that was a live email address of a third party, that third party could be naughty and sign the document. Not sure how you would get out of that situation as that third party had effectively signed a contract on your behalf without your consent/authority.

Similarly if someone hacks into your email account or you inadvertently open email that has hidden malware, they can access all the stuff you have on DocuSign secure servers.
Consider using different email accounts for different purposes.

It sounds like the owner of that apartment has had too many problems with people booking under false details or using stolen credit cards and not paying and been untraceable.
I have used booking dot com to book hotels over the years and never needed to provide proof of ID or address.

Trust works both ways. There is nothing to stop the apartment owner/agent from saving a copy of your DocuSign document and selling it to passport forgers. The same could be said for hotels that take a copy of passport pages at hotel check-in.
... there are fees associated with DocuSign. It is free for the entity signing, with the fee being picked up by the originator.... so that fee will probably be factored into the price of the apartment booking by the owner of the apartment.
By riverrock
As per an EU Directive, services like Docusign are as legally enforceable as paper signatures.
There are various checks so make sure that both sides of the agreement are who they say they are and the document can't be changed after signing.