For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I can't remember when smoking was banned on CAT flights but it's a good many years ago for sure. (Is there anywhere in the world it is still permitted?)

That being said why do new aircraft still feature 'no smoking' signs, OK perhaps they are there as a reminder for anyone who does not pay attention to the pre-flight safety briefing, but I would have thought that pretty much everyone knows that there's no smoking on aircraft.

But why are new aircraft still equipped with ashtrays? I've just used the 'facilities' on an Emirates A380 (it's less than 3 years old) and noticed that it is equipped with ashtrays in the toliets ... just wondering if anyone can suggest why?

Enjoying the provision of free (up to a limit) inflight wifi for the laptop, its weird tracking one's own flight on FR24.
By Johnno
Unfortunately some people do still smoke whilst on board so the ash tray is for them. Rather they use that then chuck it somewhere which may cause a fire, which may be the biggest threat to an aeroplane.
By Paul_Sengupta
Johnno wrote:Rather they use that then chuck it somewhere which may cause a fire, which may be the biggest threat to an aeroplane.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39234038

A man has been jailed after starting two fires in toilets on a flight to Sharm el-Sheikh.

John Cox, 46, admitted arson following a Monarch flight from Birmingham airport in 2015, a court heard.

A Mayday situation was declared after the second fire started at 35,000ft (10,668m) with crew members involved in putting the fires out, Birmingham Crown Court was told.

Cox, of Coates Road, Kidderminster, was jailed for four years and six months.
By wonko the sane
I believe it is actually a legal requirement to have an ashtray in the toilet. Bizarre. I'm sure there was a story about a BA flight in South America that wasn't allowed to fly until they'd fitted one.
By EssJay
I think the rule is there so if someone did inadvertently start a cigarette, then they would have a place to put it out instead of maybe the paper towel bin.
By Genghis the Engineer
It is still a legal requirement, and likely to remain so, for exactly the reason Johno says.

Less visibly, there is also still a requirement for an automated firefighting system in.the bins in the toilets.

G
By skydriller
EssJay wrote:I think the rule is there so if someone did inadvertently start a cigarette...

Pray tell, how does someone "inadvertently" light a cigarette? :roll:

"Oh sorry... I was on the bog taking a dump when that cigarette just fell out of the conveniently open pack in my shirt pocket, and as I reached for the loo roll the box of matches fell out of my trouser pocket too, opened mid fall such that a match tumbled out and struck it just right to flare and light as the cigarette passed it...then not having a hand free, I stooped over and was able to catch it just right between my gnashers just as I needed to breath in... 8) ...It was just such an unfortunate set of improbable circumstances and coincidences that its a good job the CAA have mandated that there is a regulation $500 genuine aviation ashtray in the bog to stub it out in... :wink:"

Regards, SD..
By cirrostratus
I believe it is actually a legal requirement to have an ashtray in the toilet. Bizarre. I'm sure there was a story about a BA flight in South America that wasn't allowed to fly until they'd fitted one.

No not just BA....... I used to be an LAE responsible for turning round customer airlines at LGW.....part of most operators Turnround /Daily / ETOPS / Departure checks was a safety equipment and cabin condition inspection. Very often we had to supply new items of of such things as ashtrays , seat belts , life jackets and first aid kits and even emergency exit signs as incoming passengers had obviously taken them as souvenirs.........it was quite a problem getting the aircraft away especially if the said items were not a common fit item .

IIRC the ANO states that an ashtray must be fitted to inside of toilet compartment and also should be one just outside as well.
By EssJay
skydriller wrote:
EssJay wrote:I think the rule is there so if someone did inadvertently start a cigarette...

Pray tell, how does someone "inadvertently" light a cigarette? :roll:

"Oh sorry... I was on the bog taking a dump when that cigarette just fell out of the conveniently open pack in my shirt pocket, and as I reached for the loo roll the box of matches fell out of my trouser pocket too, opened mid fall such that a match tumbled out and struck it just right to flare and light as the cigarette passed it...then not having a hand free, I stooped over and was able to catch it just right between my gnashers just as I needed to breath in... 8) ...It was just such an unfortunate set of improbable circumstances and coincidences that its a good job the CAA have mandated that there is a regulation $500 genuine aviation ashtray in the bog to stub it out in... :wink:"

Regards, SD..

Some people find flying very stressful and people don't always have a sane mind when stressed.

That person might have sat down on the bog and forgot where they were for a second. Next thing they have a cigarette in their hand...
By Josh
The ashtray is an MEL requirement on both the passenger jets I've flown. One of the sneaky ways of going AOG somewhere you fancied a night in the sun was allegedly to make sure one of the was missing/broken. Obviously depending on the paucity of your employer's engineering coverage!