For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have an iPad 2 prolly 6 years old.

Halfway through reading the flyer forum yesterday it silently and suddenly went to black screen with apple symbol in the middle.

It did this a year or so when I ran the battery right down so I charged it up overnight.

But this morning : Nada.

Tried the 'hard reset ' (home button and on off button down for a few seconds but after 2 minute black screen went to apple symbol again.

Any suggestions? It has a load of photos going back ages and stuff backed up on icloud but how do I get to icloud without an iPad: unless I can use my iPad mini 4 for access somehow?

TIA
Peter
By PaulB
No help, but my Mum uses an iPad 1 every day. It no longer updates and is some ancient version of iOS but still works.
By johnm
Unless Stevelup knows better. I think your only option is to connect to iTunes on a PC and restore from icloud.

Were you in the habit of closing apps not in use, if not it may have run out of memory and got in a mess.
By AndyR
Do you have a SIM card in it?

My iPhone 6 did this the other day, though without the apple symbol. Just the black screen. The only way I could get it to work again was to remove the SIM card. Upon replacing it.....bingo, everything worked again.
By Sir Morley Steven
Try turning it on connected to a charger. If you have a PC backup reset it from the PC. The PC can access the iCloud account too. Lady MS's iPad 2 is still working.
By PeteSpencer
johnm wrote:Unless Stevelup knows better. I think your only option is to connect to iTunes on a PC and restore from icloud.

Were you in the habit of closing apps not in use, if not it may have run out of memory and got in a mess.

I fear you may be right: ISTR one of the last, if not the last screen messages I got was that it was running out of memory and inviting me to 'go to settings' to back up in iCloud: I think it was at this point it all went black.

Peter
By stevelup
You could try a factory reset on your iPad. Turn it off. Press and hold the home button and plug the cable into your computer. iTunes will detect the device as being in recovery mode. Choose 'restore' - this will wipe the iPad and reinstall the OS. You can then restore from iCloud backup.

If this doesn't work, the only way you can recover these photos would be to restore your last iCloud backup onto a different device.

Obviously that would wipe the 'new' device. So if you've got nothing precious on the iPad 4, you could restore the iPad 2 backup onto the iPad 4. To do that, do 'Settings > General > Erase > Erase all content and settings'. When it reboots, choose the 'Restore from an iCloud backup' option.
By PeteSpencer
stevelup wrote:You could try a factory reset on your iPad. Turn it off. Press and hold the home button and plug the cable into your computer. iTunes will detect the device as being in recovery mode. Choose 'restore' - this will wipe the iPad and reinstall the OS. You can then restore from iCloud backup.

Well: with some patience this worked up to a point:

iTunes finally recognised the iPad after I'd updated iTunes.
It detected recovery mode , wiped the iPad and reinstalled the iOS.

But it won't let me log in to icloud or iTunes again or communicate with the Apple server so I've got an 'empty' iPad with 55 GB space but none of my previous 'stuff' which is still I hope in iCloud.
All passwords correct (checked and confirmed on other iStuff.)
No free time tomorrow to spare but hope to get on with it on wednesday,

So qualified grateful thankyou to S-lup but I'm not ready to have your babies yet....

Peter.
By PaulB
Can't you connect it ti iTunes with a bit of wire and then restore from the icloud backup that way?

Not an expert but just set up a new iPad that way.....

P.
By stevelup
But it won't let me log in to icloud

What exactly is it doing / saying? Instead of trying to restore a backup, choose the 'setup as a new iPad' option and check the thing is actually working properly - specifically that you can access the internet OK.
By johnm
You have set up wifi connection and/or mobile data connection haven't you Pete??
By stevelup
It doesn't offer you the option of restoring an iCloud backup if it can't get on line so he must have done. There's something fishy going on!

Need the exact error messages to figure it out.
By johnm
stevelup wrote:It doesn't offer you the option of restoring an iCloud backup if it can't get on line so he must have done. There's something fishy going on!

Need the exact error messages to figure it out.

I just wondered if he managed to get to a "clean" ipad by using a USB connection to iTunes and then needed to connect to Internet to do the rest........