For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes, that's right, but it virtually forces you to do it - pretty much the first step after it boots is asking to connect to a wifi network (or activating the on-board sim) - only when one of those has been done does it offer you the possibility of restoring from an iCloud backup. That's why it appears something funky is going on...
By kanga
PeteSpencer wrote:..Grandson is 'Mayor's Cadet '(ATC) at civil ceremony today in Kings Lynn: going to watch..

:thumright:

<continuing drift> a great scheme. A few of our Air Cadets were Lord Lieutenant's Cadets, and were invited to many grand occasions, usually as the youngest person at some VIP shindig, and had some great experiences. The last LL was particularly keen on all uniformed youth organisations, and insisted on having at least one invited with him to every occasion he attended, sometimes to the surprise of the organisers. One of ours accompanied LL on a Royal visit into the new GCHQ building, and another (who had only just passed her test) was deputed by the LL to drive a mayoral car when the chauffeur was 'unwell' after the 'event' </drift>
By PeteSpencer
Before I sit down and try to re-load/restore stuff from iCloud to my now empty iPad, is there anyway I can be selective with what I download?

If I download/restore everything, it'll just fill my ipad right up again which I'm sure why it collapsed in the first place.

To me the iCloud is a mysterious dark place full of pictures of actresses with their kit off waiting to be leaked: Can I access different files in the tiny bit of cloud I've rented?
By stevelup
No, you can't be selective.

That said, your iPad will be nowhere near full after a restore as it's been wiped and all the caches and other stuff will be empty.
By PeteSpencer
Restore successful: Just picking out the Apps from App Store that I want on iPad and trying to remember the password for my email last entered 6 years ago...

Oh and Garmin430W manual has gone walkabout but thats not a big deal I can download it from garmin website.

A few pics missing but they seem to be on my iPhone: so on the whole good job done .
Many thanks for all your help, especially stevelup....
Colonel Panic liked this
By stevelup
PeteSpencer wrote:Restore successful: Just picking out the Apps from App Store that I want on iPad and trying to remember the password for my email last entered 6 years ago...

Good stuff. It's worth pointing out that you can now connect this device to a computer and transfer the photos off it if you wish

Oh and Garmin430W manual has gone walkabout but thats not a big deal I can download it from garmin website.

Transient (and replaceable) data is not included in the iCloud backup - so this is to be expected I'm afraid.

Many thanks for all your help, especially stevelup....

No problem. You should have loads of free space now as well!
By PeteSpencer
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:
stevelup wrote: That's why it appears something funky is going on...

Just wondering if this iPad been jail-broken to make it easier for something funky to be going on?

Nope: Bog standard iPad 2 bought IIRC 6-7 years ago.

Had been close to full up for months and finally fell over last week.

Now restored and running faster than ever: Won't ever know about overheating in a/c running SD as I've bought a iPad mini 4 for that.....