For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
I was sitting next to Herman van Rompuy (again) on the train this morning.

He still wears incredibly bad shoes. Light brown loafers today, and it's a raging storm. That's kind of endearing. Ex President of the hated EU still spends about the same on shoes as I do. Which is barely into 3 figures most years....

Being someone from the same small town where I live, I've followed his career over the past few years. There's no doubt he had the "greater good" at his heart. He refused to have an expensive security detail when he was Prez. Yes, I could roll up to his front door if I wanted.

However, there's no doubt in my mind (after watching the politics of his wife, as one example) that he and his political family either hate (or at least are severely biased against) francophones - who make up nearly 75% of the population of our small town.

Yes, he "seems" an amiable, well meaning old chap - with carp shoes, and who mostly takes public transport. He still remains a "political animal", and therefore not to be trusted.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
OCB wrote:Yes, he "seems" an amiable, well meaning old chap - with carp shoes, and who mostly takes public transport. He still remains a "political animal", and therefore not to be trusted.

I don't know von Rompuy or too many other politicians well enough to judge whether no 'political animal' can be trusted.

However if the choice is between the politicians of before or the 'non-political' animals as represented by Trump then I fear I have to go for the devil(s) we know.
By OCB
Dutch - those animals, stable-bred for politics or not - have to be judged on their merits. No more, no less.
So many desperately want(ed) Trump to be the "anti-establishment" idol. He's been "doing politics" for a very long time, badly at that.

I've seen family friends go into politics for 100% the best of reasons.
I've then seen them "turned", and end up national news figures - for all the wrong reasons.

Look back more than 2000 years to Roman and Greek political writings. Nothing in human nature has changed.

Probably sucks for Trump etc that the t'interweb/social media gets in the way of their fantasy proclamations.
Back in the day, it would take days/months/years before they got "caught out".