For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By eltonioni
There was an article a few days ago (that I can't find again) which basically said that Bannon buys into a periodic USA civil war destruction / renewal ideology and that Trump is the patsy vehicle to make it happen. Not quite an end of times scenario as it has a renewed society at the end of the trauma.

I enjoyed this though. The story goes that Kushner and Ivanka are Donald's thin connection to the civilised world.

By kanga
A scary serendipity of simultaneous stories today

Trump thinks his courts are too political

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38902574

.. while new best buddy Putin uses his to disqualify most credible opponent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38905120
johnm liked this
By Mike Tango
eltonioni wrote:There was an article a few days ago (that I can't find again) which basically said that Bannon buys into a periodic USA civil war destruction / renewal ideology and that Trump is the patsy vehicle to make it happen. Not quite an end of times scenario as it has a renewed society at the end of the trauma.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5898f ... 38a951/amp
eltonioni liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The lunatics truly are taking over the asylum :roll:
By jerry_atrick
Yes.. indeed..

Getting back to the topic, apart from the obvious priority of himself (and I believe most people have the same priority), it is hard to see what his priorities really are.

There have been people saying he has never held elected office before, so we have to expect mistakes; and that when one puts in place initiatives, one can't possibly foresee every consequence - and I agree. However, the problems he has come up against and the main consequences of his actions were not terribly difficult for anyone but the most challenged to foresee; and they should have been foreseen and mitigated by anyone with a modicum of intelligence and a bunch of high-paid advisors.. People would be entitled to expect a degree of competence of those they elect to such high-profile positions - and they should recognise when they need help to come to the right decisions/methods of implementing them.. so I can only infer his priorities are to divide both his nation and the world.

Trump is not an uneducated buffoon - and given America's education system, one would think he was at least remotely aware of the pillars of a constitution; so his disdain for the judiciary and allegations they are playing an overtly political gain are just another set of soundbytes, presumably with the intention of garnering support (or resistance) amongst the elements of society who ignorantly follow for an attempt at watering down the judiciaries powers so he can push his agenda through.

I get it; Hillary was hardly an out or upstanding counterpart; at this ebb in politics, there is a dearth of competent (or least incompetent) candidates world wide. So I am not saying he was not the best candidate from a very poor bunch, but he seems to be the most dangerous.

Yes, having a constructive relationship with Russia is better than not for stability's sake; but his business interests there do pose a conflict of interest in as much as how far does he bend/compromise important principles?

The travel ban - aimed at countries that have not committed atrocities on US soil nor really contributed too much in European soil - the truck drivers, etc. Mainly from or supported by countries not included in the ban. He says the ban is against these countries as they pose a new threat - though there is no qiting intelligence sources to back that up. Of course, it omits those countries where he does have business interests, yet have supported or have had nationals support atrocities in the US.. A conflict of interest, perhaps?

I personally don't like the man; that doesn't mean he is bad nor his intentions are. His actions, though, speak a lot louder. And one is not putting [all of] America first; it is putting [his interests of] America first.
By cockney steve
and they should have been foreseen and mitigated by anyone with a modicum of intelligence and a bunch of high-paid advisors.. People would be entitled to expect a degree of competence of those they elect to such high-profile positions - and they should recognise when they need help to come to the right decisions/methods of implementing them..

Perhaps they are, indeed, allowing the President to "slit his own throat"

hangman/ Punch and Judy show come to mind.
Perhaps they're so competent, their end-game won't be apparent until it's over. :twisted:
jerry_atrick liked this
By johnm
cockney steve wrote:
and they should have been foreseen and mitigated by anyone with a modicum of intelligence and a bunch of high-paid advisors.. People would be entitled to expect a degree of competence of those they elect to such high-profile positions - and they should recognise when they need help to come to the right decisions/methods of implementing them..

Perhaps they're so competent, their end-game won't be apparent until it's over. :twisted:

Usually I favour cock up over conspiracy but in this case I'll admit I'm not so sure..... :pale:
eltonioni liked this
By jerry_atrick
cockney steve wrote:

I liked the above post, but my reference to high paid advisors were the one's appointed by Trump, so they should, in theory be loyal (unless they really want the Vice President to take the reins... or reign)
By kanga
johnm wrote:..

Usually I favour cock up over conspiracy but in this case I'll admit I'm not so sure..... :pale:

The Federal Government is so disparate (and leaky) within and between all its various parts, even before considering the different parts of the Congress*, and at State and lower levels, that 'secret conspiracy' is almost impossible to organise and maintain for long; perhaps fortunately, although it frustrates scriptwriters who care for any truths. But it can and probably sometimes does exist in some aspects of US business, despite potentially severe penalties (eg 'Anti-Trust' actions).

However, as well as 'conspiracy', dangers can arise from 'established group think', which can be just as pernicious, and last a long time, with challengers/outsiders being punished by discipline, ridicule or 'exile'. In business they may have the last laugh by making a lot of money (eg 'shorting' before the 2008 crash).

[* a junior staffer in the House or Senate will unhesitatingly betray US (or Allied) precious and longterm military or intelligence secrets to a journalist to give his/her sponsoring Congresscrittur a favourable 24 hours in the media spotlight]
johnm, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Jetblu
Why so many nay-slayers towards Donald? I think he brings some refreshing views.

Even the wall is a good idea. I wonder if he'll electrify it too :D
By JoeC
Illegal immigration in the US comes from visa overstays. 11 million haven't snuck in over the border. They've walked legally through immigration and simply not gone back. Something like 500,000 a year where 50% don't return. A wall will make ferk all difference.

Trump knows this but like all good rabble rousers needs a enemy and simple solution to rally the hard of thinking around him so that he can attain power. Farage, Britain First, Le Pen - all the same. Scary people who talk their countries down before offering a specious solution to bring them back up.
Cowshed, Flyin'Dutch', nallen and 2 others liked this