For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There's something weirdly satisfactory and symmetrical about a UKIP candidate called "Nuttall"
Rob P liked this
By johnm
When I was a small boy in Lancashire trump was a synonym for f@rt. So the US is now governed by an old f@rt, but he sure as hell isn't boring :roll: :shock:
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Beats "total cock" which is who is running the US.

I'm keeping an open mind on Trump. He might be the most narcissistic person on this planet, but he is smart and he does listen to his trusted advisors. He is decisive, and his instincts aren't that far off in many regards.

He has the potential to do a very good job for America if he can rein in his desire to win at all costs. He does, of course, also carry a fair measure of downside risk.

It might well be that I'd rather sit down to dinner with Obama than Trump, but I'm not personally ready to write off Trump who I believe is likely to turn out to be more effective than Obama. I remember thinking it was a complete joke that Reagan was elected President, but ended up pleasantly surprised. Let's face it, many of us here have a moan about professional politicians, and Trump is unlikely to be one of those.

On balance, I'm somewhat sanguine, and I'm going to wait and see how his actions turn out. We should watch him closely as there will almost certainly be some good lessons to learn from him, even if it is likely they won't be universally positive.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Paultheparaglider wrote:On balance, I'm somewhat sanguine, and I'm going to wait and see how his actions turn out. We should watch him closely as there will almost certainly be some good lessons to learn from him, even if it is likely they won't be universally positive.

Well there isn't a fat lot else we can do.

Certainly don't think that Trump is going to take any notice of protesters in the streets or for that anyone else.

I don't share your view that he listens to his advisors.
By PeteSpencer
johnm wrote:When I was a small boy in Lancashire trump was a synonym for f@rt. So the US is now governed by an old f@rt, but he sure as hell isn't boring :roll: :shock:

Devon and East Midlands too:
Seems universal.
I got a lot of stick at school in France many years ago as my name is slang for 'to f@rt'

But then 'to trump' in Bridge and many card games and in general language usage means to gain an advantage over one's opponents.

That's schmart, so schmart,

Uhuh, schmart,

Peter
johnm liked this
By OCB
PeteSpencer wrote:
johnm wrote:When I was a small boy in Lancashire trump was a synonym for f@rt. So the US is now governed by an old f@rt, but he sure as hell isn't boring :roll: :shock:

Devon and East Midlands too:
Seems universal.
I got a lot of stick at school in France many years ago as my name is slang for 'to f@rt'

Peter

In the West of Scotland it was "pump" rather than trump...I doubt anyone says that nowadays!

Yeah, "pete" is fart - but it's pronounced "pet".

"pètè" is quite often used for drunk or busted + furious.
Having a french speaking wife she often complains when come home completement pètè she pète un câble .
By PeteSpencer
You're getting your acutes and your graves mixed up: check with your French wife........

And yes my French school mates had a larf by pronouncing my name -Peter- as 'peteur ' or farter.