For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
cockney steve wrote:Everyone to his own, I suppose,- I don't get why people hock themselves to the eyeballs, just to get the latest model (insecurity? inadequacy? inferiority complex? )

That's a pretty patronising attitude... I get a new car every three years because:-

1) I'm a gadget freak and love the latest technology
2) I prefer to not have to worry about servicing / maintenance issues
3) I'm a fussy bugger and have never found an ex demonstrator or used car with the spec I want, and I'm not willing to compromise

I really fail to see how you could ascribe insecurity, inadequacy or an inferiority complex to any of those desires. As you say, each to his own...
By cockney steve
^^^^^^^ As you appear to be a Pilot, One can assume you have a healthy level of disposable income.....I have no problem at all with people who indulge themselves within their means.

I specifically referred to
don't get why people hock themselves to the eyeballs, just to get the latest model

You know? the "keeping up with the Jonses " syndrome ! Many years ago, we referred to a former neighbour as "Mrs Jones" There was some explaining to do, when the elderly dellow next door, addressed her as such. :oops: Explained that she thought she was " the Jonses"........(subsequently heard the same woman referred to as "the Catalogue Queen"
Many people do appear to divert an excessive portion of their income to keeping the latest model on the drive.
Me- I'm a tool-man (yea, OK, take that how you want :lol: ) like to look after them and get seriously tempted to have gear I have very limited use for!...Lathe used once in 2 years is a prime example.... (but it's worth double what I paid for it! )
By PaulB
1 PPL (or is it PPL1 - I don't take much notice) is owned by someone at my flying club
By avtur3
cockney steve wrote: .....As you appear to be a Pilot, One can assume you have a healthy level of disposable income.....

.....Many people do appear to divert an excessive portion of their income to keeping the latest model on the drive......

Careful now ... you know what they say about making assumptions .... :lol:
By stevelup
My aircraft costs £100 per month and about £40 per hour. I think there will be plenty of people on benefits spending more than that on alcohol and fags. It is absolutely absurd to suggest a link between being a pilot and having disposable income. It helps to have one, but it's by no means necessary.

You can spend any amount of money on flying, ranging from absolutely SFA to utterly eye-watering amounts.

You can spend any amount of money on a car, ranging from absolutely SFA to utterly eye-watering amounts.

My car costs way more than my flying. But I use my car every single day of the week for several hours so the cost per hour (that's all most pilots focus on) is nice and low :lol:
johnm, Waveflyer, Spooky liked this
By Rob P
Spending £40/hr on fags (assuming we are talking cigarettes) is going it some...

But be aware that 'disposable income' is defined as what's left from gross earnings after essentials are deducted. So for flyers that's hangarage, insurance, maintenance, fuel, landing fees, mortgage or rent, food and heating.

Rob P
By avtur3
PaulB wrote:1 PPL (or is it PPL1 - I don't take much notice) is owned by someone at my flying club

P1 PPL is still in use, seen in the leafy suburbs of Stockport this weekend.
Bert Presley wrote: Didn't cost much.

Wait until you see the charges from the CAA, EASA, and the DVLA for changing your licences. New birth certificates, passports, wedding certificates. Then there are the banks, utilities, council tax, and all the other myriad changes that will take you for ever to organise.

It is easy to be wise after the event, but tracking down and buying 8 ERT would have been a much smarter option if you ask me.