For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
@GolfHotel

Unpaid or not, the facility is there, and a child's welfare surely comes first. I also stated that annual leave can be taken, this is perfectly legal (and paid).

All my employers have allowed flexibility which has allowed me to take my daughter to the GP or A&E when needed, and work from home when she has been sick.

My local accident department in Newbury has always been excellent, and even when we have had to take her to the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading, she has been triaged quickly and expedited as she is a child. Always dealt with compassion and care.

As I've said before Jezza could save a ton of cash by turning down the heating, and stop using the opening of windows as a form of temperature control.
Boing_737 wrote:@GolfHotel

Unpaid or not, the facility is there, and a child's welfare surely comes first. I also stated that annual leave can be taken, this is perfectly legal (and paid).

All my employers have allowed flexibility which has allowed me to take my daughter to the GP or A&E when needed, and work from home when she has been sick.

My local accident department in Newbury has always been excellent, and even when we have had to take her to the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading, she has been triaged quickly and expedited as she is a child. Always dealt with compassion and care.

As I've said before Jezza could save a ton of cash by turning down the heating, and stop using the opening of windows as a form of temperature control.

I understand where you are coming from. And yes of course your top priority should be your child's welfare. But it is mis-sleading and incorrect to say that you can take SSP to cover helping a dependant.

Yes annual leave can be taken if your employer agrees.

Most employers will be flexible and understanding. I would suggest if they aren't you should consider moving jobs if you can.
Boing_737 wrote:So we're agreed, there are mechanisms in place that allow a parent to take leave one way or another to take a child to see a doctor...

I agree that there is available to everyone statutory leave to look after dependents. But I do not agree that it is SSP or sick leave as some call it. For some reason you seem reluctant to accept that or have simply decided not to for what ever reason.

Anyone reading this look back to my first post that links to the ACAS advice that explains it if you want to know how it works.