For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
cirrostratus wrote:Other is when in a queue of traffic which doesn't move , those inconsiderate drivers ( and not always slush-box drivers ) that keep their foot on the brake instead of using hand brake....... with modern cars with their super intensive ultra bright brake lights it dazzles anyone who are unfortunate to be behind :evil:

Another example of brain dead driving.

And an excellent time to switch on one's 300W LEDs. :wink:
By Flintstone
SteveN wrote:
Flintstone wrote: ....And an excellent time to switch on one's 300W LEDs. :wink:

...so I can see to get my tyre lever out of the boot ;)

Assuming you make it that far. "The lights changed officer and he opened his door as I passed. All accidental like. I didn't see him because he was sat there with his high level brake lights on in my eyes".
:wink:
By GAFlyer4Fun
GolfHotel wrote:The Highway Code says that you should only use your fog lamps when the visibility drops below 100m. If you're not sure when that is, a good rule of thumb is to work out whether you can see the tail lights of the car in front of you. If you can't, you (and they) should probably be using rear fog lamps

Some drivers in fog tailgate to see the car in front so that rule of thumb is not always helpful. Perhaps they are hoping the convoy in front will keep in lane on the road.

Apart from risk of not being able to stop in time if the car in front brakes hard suddenly, if the car in front misses the bend ahead and goes straight on into a field, so does the tailgater due to target fixation.
By GAFlyer4Fun
riverrock wrote:The differences are that cars have got higher - SUV sized - and lights have got brighter.

Taller cars have debatably been a factor in other problems.

Such as if a child runs out in front of a tall car, the drivers of the other vehicles behind it are more likely to be un-sighted and not anticipate the hard braking.

Another problem is the occupants of a taller car don't need to be able to bend their legs as much to get in/out of a car. With many people in modern life having sedentiary lifestyles, taller cars contribute to their legs becoming weaker without them noticing so it takes longer to notice the body weight creeping upwards towards obesity. With a low seat you either get an early clue to sort out the eating habits or have stronger legs to cope with a deep knee bend with the extra weight.

Another problem is speed perception. While driving a low car and tall car at the same speed on the speedo, the driver of the taller car will have a perception of travelling slower than the driver of the low car. Without reference to the speedo the driver of the taller car is more likely to speed on an open road.
If the car in front of a tall car is a low car doing the speed limit, the driver of the taller car is then more likely to tailgate the low car in an attempt to get them to go a bit faster, which is quite annoying to the driver of the lower car, particularly with bright headlights lighting up the cabin ceiling and mirrors.
It gets quite interesting at the next tight bend in the road that the low car with a lower CofG takes much easier without slowing down whereas the tall car might need to take it slower and its driver might brake late if the low car in front does not brake at all, which in some cases can be enough of a shock to stop them tailgating if they nearly ended up in the hedge until they get to the next straight bit of road.

Another problem for taller cars is cycles/motorcycles have not got taller compared to cars, so the cyclists/motorcyclists can no longer see along lines of traffic as easily as they used to be able to, and also they are less likely to be seen by other traffic that has been waiting a while to pull out of junctions.

Taller cars appear to be harder to park.... so that's why people need parking sensors and auto-parking.

Oh well, it's "progress"...
By PaulB
I've seen another flurry of newish cars with LED driving lights at the front, instrument clusters lit up but no rear lights.

This surely is a design flaw as the drivers are presumably blissfully unaware (especially in street lit areas.)
By PeteSpencer
PaulB wrote:I've seen another flurry of newish cars with LED driving lights at the front, instrument clusters lit up but no rear lights.

This surely is a design flaw as the drivers are presumably blissfully unaware (especially in street lit areas.)

They are 'daylight running lights' (in which rear lights are of no real value: They switch to fully lit when vehicle lights are turned on.
By PaulB
.... but the illuminated console and seeing your front lights shine on the car ahead means it's easy to be mislead. Shouldn't cars that have such advanced features, also have lights that turn on when it's dark?
Rob P liked this
By PeteSpencer
PaulB wrote:.... but the illuminated console and seeing your front lights shine on the car ahead means it's easy to be mislead. Shouldn't cars that have such advanced features, also have lights that turn on when it's dark?

Mine do They’ve been on auto for 13 years.

However, as the nice traffic cop who followed me down the A14 on my way to Duxford one murky foggy morning the auto function does not operate in the peculiar bright but poor vis situation of early morning fog .

And he let me off the 80 mph as I turned the fogs on.

Peter
By PeteSpencer
PaulB wrote:.... but the illuminated console and seeing your front lights shine on the car ahead means it's easy to be mislead. Shouldn't cars that have such advanced features, also have lights that turn on when it's dark?

The console lights don't come on with 'daylight running lights'

Peter
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By PeteSpencer
flybymike wrote:Mine is more inclined the other way. I keep having to switch ‘em off because I feel a prat driving around with headlights on, on a bright day.

In the 80s when imported Volvos had daylight running lights but they weren't available in Europe I used to get pi $$ed off with every bleedin French driver in France flashing us as we drove down through central France in July.....

Peter
PS Final contribution to this thread: I'm off out to get a life..................