For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Jon G4LJW
"Rule 109
Traffic light signals and traffic signs. You MUST obey all traffic light signals (see ‘Light signals controlling traffic’) and traffic signs giving orders, including temporary signals & signs (see ‘Traffic signs’)."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... 103-to-158

And this is older stuff, but interesting:

https://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index. ... ic-lights/
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Discussed before
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63525&p=862121&hilit=Contractors+traffic+lights#p862121
What about those guys in grubby hi viz holding those lollipop sticks with stop on one side and go on another?
This amounts to the same thing.
Can these people give us all a fine and points on the whim of which way they decide to twist their stick? Or indeed simply by using hand signals?
By Barcli
Flintstone wrote:
Barcli wrote:Then he got a...sy when I overtook and continued !!

Where on earth did you get the idea they're only advisory?

No idea : hashtag embarrassed :roll: :roll: :roll:
Mind you - what do you do when they are both stuck on red or dont work ?
Even so coming up to a straight ex roman road with the back to back lights around a manhole - I still wouldnt stop with no one waiting on tuther side. hashtag onlybeingsensiblehere
By Bill McCarthy
When I was in the mob travelling back to the Faslane submarine base through Glasgow at 05.00 of a morning I was quite surprised to encounter buses and taxis flying full pelt through red traffic lights every time without a hint of care of what could be coming through a green the other way. I used to stop or slow down at green if I couldn't see much left or right of me.
By squawking 7700
A pet hate acquired over the past couple of weeks - those 'Brexiters' who voted out as a 'protest vote' not expecting the majority to vote out and then exclaiming 'I didn't think it'd really happen!'

NickS liked this
By Rob P
Surely your hate should be reserved for the media who have gone to the trouble to ferret these people out and publicise their patheticness?

Rob P
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Barcli wrote:
Flintstone wrote:
Barcli wrote:Then he got a...sy when I overtook and continued !!

Where on earth did you get the idea they're only advisory?

No idea : hashtag embarrassed :roll: :roll: :roll:
Mind you - what do you do when they are both stuck on red or dont work ?

Been there, done that. The timings on these things seem to be down to the bloke in wellies and hi-viz who sets them up. Sometimes I feel a right twit sitting there but I just know that the day I jump the red light there'll be a police car coming in the opposite direction. :oops:
By Paultheparaglider
You want to try cycling through them then. One of my pet hates is cyclists who go through red lights because we all get tarred with the same brush. My policy when I get to temporary ones is to stop even if it is on green and wait until it cycles through red and back to green. That way, I have the longest possible time to get through them. Even then, I often don't make it in time because of the way they are timed to short cycle, and I'm a reasonably fit cyclist.

I've had drivers coming the other way, even though they see I'm on the way through, drive straight at me deliberately, shout at me, honk at me. I've mentioned to the workers who have placed them that it is simply impossible for a cyclist to get through in the time they have set, but they simply blame it on council and highways agency policies.
By Waveflyer
squawking 7700 wrote:I didn't need the media to ferret them out - I know one or two of them.

Don't we all :roll:
By Rob P
Not me.

But then I'd never dream of asking. It's over thank heavens, and I'm happy to consign the whole tedious four or five months to history.

Rob P
By TrailStar
Waveflyer wrote:
squawking 7700 wrote:I didn't need the media to ferret them out - I know one or two of them.

Don't we all :roll:

No, but I know a few people who keep telling me (very loudly) that they know them